Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear: Opinions/Experience/Help Wanted

Pup's thread inquiring about clear coats nudged me a bit on this. I don't want to clutter his thread with what could easily be a separate conversation, so I'm asking here.

I recently picked up some Tamiya Flat Clear XF-86. I did a quick test shot of it in the other paint tests I was doing with paints from Tamiya, Gunze, AK and MRP. I thinned it with 91% Isopropyl, as I've been very successful doing with the acrylic lacquers I just mentioned. I forget the exact ratio, but basically thinned it until I could spray it consistently. It went on a little thick and didn't look very smooth when it dried. Looking at the bottle, I see no mention of how to thin it (or with what), but it does say that it's water soluble.

I've also done some testing with Vallejo's matt and gloss varnishes, thinning them with distilled water, as per their directions. They sprayed nice, dried evenly, but they did not take kindly to oil/spirit washes and weathering. I was hoping for better performance from the Tamiya Flat, but think I may have sabotaged myself with alcohol as thinner? 

I'm curious what your experiences/recommendations are with this stuff. I got a couple bottles of the stuff and hope it doesn't go to waste (and the Vallejo is probably useful, but just as a final coat from what I'm seeing).

Thanks in advance, 

John

Well, Kevin, I'm still a fan of the Testors flat lacquer from a rattle can and have used it for most of my life. I still consider it my favorite, but, yeah, they all have limitations and the flat lacquer is too hot for some paints and other clears. I find that adding oil paint to it isn't a huge problem, so long as you don't work it too hard, but adding spirits to the mix will strip it pretty quick and dosen't allow for an even build of oil colors, as intended.

John 

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've never met a flat clear I liked.

Kev

MRP Flat clear is the dogs danglies, straight from the bottle... it settles out but chuck in some mixers balls and shake it to hell and once it's fully mixed it's just excellent.

Thin Tamiya with the self levelling stuff from Mr Hobby as mentioned above. 

1 hour ago, johncrow said:

I tried it for the first time a few days ago...only on some small parts, but thinned 50-50 with Tamiya Lacquer thinner (yellow cap) it seemed to work great. But truthfully, that was only a test to see if I want to try it on something bigger when I have a chance. And I do.....

jp

Thanks to everyone for the input!

I do have some tamiya lacquer thinner and I will test that a bit. Also, I will likely try MRP's also, since I'm already using their paint, too.

Thanks again!

John