RAAF F/A-18 Hornet, ELTA 8222 ECM pod and adaptor.

ericg

Some more work.

But first, a couple more pics of Homer. Homer led the first airstrike during Operation Falconer 2003. Here he is before departing on that day.

thumbnail_Homer%202000lb%20GBU10%20Op%20

And here he is upon return from the same mission.

thumbnail_1st%20FA18%20strike%20post%20m

Its stuff like the above that really make me strive to do the best that I can on each of my subject pilot builds. Early on in the build, I realised that there was a fair bit of stuff that was on Homers Hornet during his 2016 mission that I would have to scratch build, such as the BOL dispensers as shown earlier. Another feature was the ELTA 8222 ECM pod that was standard issue for our Hornets, mounted to a unique adapter on station 6. I was ready to make these in plastic card but this was during the aquisition of my 3D printer, so one thing led to another and I ended up designing each piece. I did investigate the Wolfpack 8222 pod but was not happy with it.

8222%20and%20adatper-XL.jpg

And here are the parts. They are almost ready to go. I am still playing with various angles of printing to get rid of some of the small visible lines and a panel line or two need to be tweaked to give them a bit more depth. 

IMG_7039_HEIC-X4.jpg

Test fit to the model. Its a shame that they wont be very visible!

IMG_7075_HEIC-X4.jpg

• ericg changed the title to RAAF F/A-18 Hornet, ELTA 8222 ECM pod and adaptor.
  • 1 year later...

Would really enjoy seeing the final product , Fun Fact i was in OpOKRA during ROTO 8 when this occured... and now that i've discharged, im looking at building my own model to go in my study. I'm really interested in your models for your 8222 and Adaptor as well, which is how i found this page. 

Thanks , there was another jet hit by lightning band it was given a "Zeus" artwork... I never really got into tail numbers but if you google a21-027 ... You will find the the 100th anniversary 3sqn jet that never got cleared to be painted and was supposed to be over there at the same time