Battle of Britain Hurricane camouflage demarcation, hard or soft? 2 photos.

mpk

5 hours ago, dennismcc said:

There was some quite heated discussions about camouflage mats a few years back so I'll skip that one. Though there is a photo of a P40 having it's camouflage painted using mats.

2tfQiz.jpg

The camouflage patterns did vary slightly from different factories though the overall scheme and colours were the same, I came across this when modelling a Spitfire once, I had made some paper masks for a previous build but when I checked photos of the new build the pattern was slightly different so I could not use them.

Cheers

Dennis

That's in the US - did British factories use them? 

14 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I don't recall where, but I have a book here with a photo of painters spraying, using the big pre-cut mats/masks. I don't recall if it was Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon or Mosquito, so finding it would take ages, but I have seen it.

I agree with Kev; I also have seen such an image somewhere (I have spent a few hours on the internet looking for it, but to no avail).

Derek

2 hours ago, dennismcc said:

OK a blast from the past, here is the Britmodeller pinned thread on the subject, have fun.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29585-british-camo-rubber-masks/

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I have just (re-read) that particular topic again, but still no definitive image emerging. I don't doubt that camouflage templates were used during aircraft manufacture (by some companies at least), but the their use appears to be not that widespread (it may have been quicker to apply it freehand in most cases).

Derek

3 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Hi Dennis,

I have just (re-read) that particular topic again, but still no definitive image emerging. I don't doubt that camouflage templates were used during aircraft manufacture (by some companies at least), but the their use appears to be not that widespread (it may have been quicker to apply it freehand in most cases).

Derek

Yep, that's why I keep questioning the use of mats in British factories.  "Everybody" talks about them, but noone seems to be able to provide a photo to prove it (again:  British factories).

Just now, jenshb said:

Yep, that's why I keep questioning the use of mats in British factories.  "Everybody" talks about them, but noone seems to be able to provide a photo to prove it (again:  British factories).

Agreed Jens, but like Kev (2), I also recall seeing (probably) the same image of an aircraft wing (possibly from a fighter aircraft, in a vertical trestle) being sprayed by one or two people with template mats draped over the leading edges of the wing, unless we are both mistaken! (and not the often shown P-40 wing either). :)

Cheers

Derek

6 hours ago, Derek B said:

Agreed Jens, but like Kev (2), I also recall seeing (probably) the same image of an aircraft wing (possibly from a fighter aircraft, in a vertical trestle) being sprayed by one or two people with template mats draped over the leading edges of the wing, unless we are both mistaken! (and not the often shown P-40 wing either). :)

Cheers

Derek

In the photo I saw, the painter was standing on the wing, and the wing was attached to the aircraft. Could have been a repair station photo, but I just don't recall.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I know I saw one years ago but I did not succeed in finding it again. Damn it! :angry2:

To be honest, I'm not willing to look, at least right now. Between the big four, Mosquito, Typhoon, Spitfire and Hurricane, I have way too many references to sift through.

9 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

To be honest as well  I did not look in my books as I know I saw it on the web and thought I had saved it. With regard to the printed references, I'm in the same situation than you ! I've thousands of them.

I really need to take a lead from Charles, by going through the books, one by one, and adding relevant notes in a spreadsheet or database like he did. I do tend to go through the books in much the same manner for some of my very specific LSP & armor projects, annotating a list as to what's what, and in what book. It serves as easy visual reference when I encounter areas of the model that I desire more information about, and really helps a ton. I built one such list for the Hawker Typhoon (naturally), as an example.