More Canadian-built Lancaster Questions

As I work on “Sugar’s Blues” more questions emerge, and I could use your help!

1) Did the Canadian-built Lancasters have fuselage windows painted over, or were these omitted altogether?

2) Did these Lancasters come assembled with their rear turrets lacking a panel of plexiglass for visibility, or was this done at the squadron level without being a standardized practice?

Cheers,  Tom

Tom, a quick internet search shows that the Canadian-built Mk X Lancaster, of which there were 430 (KB and FM serials), were fitted with windows.  What happened to them once on the squadrons is anybody's guess:

GzUn65.png

h9FuKe.png

The plexiglass for the standard rear FN turret was cut away at squadron level.  The only turret developed during the war which was designed without full plexiglass was the Rose turret, the guns being a couple of 0.50 calibre machine guns rather than 0.303, but Rose turrets were fitted to very few Lancs.

Edited by mozart

Max,

Thanks! Maru also contributed some helpful links, so based on your collective feedback it looks like most but not all of the windows were deleted, and your turret advice gives me some leeway that avoids putting my turret at risk from cutting!

I appreciate it,

Tom

In addition what has already been mentioned, in the video of KB700 being built you can see some with windows being built and when the top turret gunner is climbing into his position you can see a window:

and here is a tail turret without the plexiglass:

PCaseyJ1505.1.jpg

Jari

It appears from my research on Canadian Lancasters, only KB700 actually had the windows fitted. Certainly "Sugar's Blues" didn't have any windows or cutout for windows. To be truly accurate the windows should be filled and covered for this aircraft..

The  central panel on the FN120 turret was removed in operational service, depending on the requirements of the rear gunner.

I am pretty sure that "Sugar's Blues" left the production plant in Toronto, without the rear turret , which was fitted at a Maintenance unit in England , just prior to being issued to Squadron service. A wooden fairing was placed in the front and rear turret positions for the ferry flight from Canada to the UK. The Martin mid-upper turret was fitted for the flight as it was built in North America. The Fraser Nash turrets were built by Parnall in England and the supply lines were still requiring shipping across the North Atlantic.

The pictures of FM213 , flown by Canadian Warplane Heritage, show windows that were put in during the restoration and there is a number of seats in that position for paying passengers to enjoy one of life`s great experiences , a flight in a Lancaster bomber.

Only 422 Bomber versions were built at Malton. There were 8 XX-P mail planes,( which had some different window configurations).built along side the bomber versions to give a total of 430 built by Victory.

Edited by mrp
update

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Can’t even begin to imagine how brutally cold that open turret must have been.  

Fun fact - some late war rear turrets were fitted with “Village Inn” automatic gun laying radar.   

I knew a rear gunner on 467 Squadron, Cy March; we used to chat for ages on the phone (he lived in Durham, about 300 miles away from me). He told me once about an icicle which had formed on his nose which was so long that when they had landed he presented it to Margo West, one of the WAAFs who drove the lorries which delivered and collected crews from across the airfield.  I met Margo a couple of times but never checked Cy’s story!