Boulton Paul Mk.1

Rick Griewski

On 9/19/2020 at 3:39 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Good point Erwin. It will be .030 to .040 inch too large in places.  I have decided to go ahead with my original plan to augment the kit’s OOB cockpit.  It fits well but is too shallow (the top of the wing should show) and needs more detail overall

Rick. 

Second thought wouldn't it be better with this set?

how do you know it's dimentions are wider?

and what's the status of the build anyway?

only a year has passed ;)

1 hour ago, iaf-man said:

Second thought wouldn't it be better with this set?

how do you know it's dimentions are wider?

and what's the status of the build anyway?

only a year has passed ;)

Wider; estimated resin kit cockpit wall are much thicker than the vac kit. 

It’s been on the bench and with my Claude trainer.  Summer lake house projects rule.  The BPD is due for primer 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

Do you have the Jumpei Temma drawings? They are very helpful: http://soyuyo.main.jp/defiant/defiante-1.html

If you ever have the possibility to get the Mushroom book about the Defiant, get it! This is clearly the most helpful reference ever published. It is not expensive and... it is still available!

http://mmpbooks.com/shop2/boulton-paul-defiant.html

The Air Britain book has a lot of full airframe pictures and some very good wartime views of details such as the LG wells, canopy, turret or the engine.

https://www.scalemates.com/books/the-defiant-file-alec-brew--113173

I found mine for a very low price (from The Aviationbookshop) but alas this one is generally not cheap on the second hand market. So, it is only interesting if you find a very good bargain. Nonetheless, as the other Air Britain books, it gives the known history of each airframe. So, if you want info about some possible choices, do not hesitate asking.

As I finally found the kit, I had a look at the shapes and dimensions. This made me realizing some shapes are questionable but not a major issue. The thing I really do not like is the tip of the wings. They are asking for serious sanding as they are really too thick.

The rivet lines are also questionable. If some are straight, well, many others were probably made by a drunk modeller! Ouch!

And with regard to the spinner, take care with that Spitfire one as to me this rather looks like the one used on the longer Mk2 type.

Finally, regarding the High Planes resin pit, it is indeed tailored for the vac kit and it is obvious the cross sections of both kits are noticeably different. However, even if it asks for modifications to mate the resin kit, it is a major time saver as many cockpit and turret details featured in the Scratchbuilders kit are either missing either plain wrong whereas the detail set ones are OK.

Not a project for the faint at heart, for sure!

BR from the old world.

Thierry