Tom-Thumbs builds a Mig 3

PietvWdV

Nice man....

I would have been tempted to write something cheeky ( use your imagination) but in Russian ( no one else understands it...cept Russians! ;) ) anyway if they were Russian and read it they'd probably go 'Vot Da!'

Examples?

Do you want fries with that comrade?

Where remote control?

Hey baby...nice pair of P47's

cheers Matt

<_< You're getting me worried about this white painting business. I'm starting to think its an art form all on its own, one rarely explored in allied aircraft and nlt rarely in axis/russian.

Radu! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Corrections is made. I was worried about it because I have two references and they are different. Now I know which one is right. LSP is a great place with great dudes <_< I love it here ;)

I'l post the edited decal tonight.

Matt: I would just have written "NAZDAROVIA!"on my plane :lol:

:) You're getting me worried about this white painting business.  I'm starting to think its an art form all on its own, one rarely explored in allied aircraft and nlt rarely in axis/russian.

I think it might be, although what it may be I have no clue. I feel as if I am stumbling in the dark with this one. But it might be coming allright. Problem with white seems mainly that you cant touch it, as in this case it is matt white. So I want to get the topside decaled,washed and sealed in future before moving on, so I can touch it without permanent damage.

With white there is nothing to hide behind.

Here is a small update. Painting on the spinner. Here it is unwashed and unweathered. The cannon barrel will be cut back a bit when the whole thing gets glued. This is still dryfit.

post-4-1139018275.jpg

Last one is this poorly focused shot of the Starboard wing from up top. I wanted to show the texture of the wear...I dont think I am explaining that right, but there it is anyway.....it shows up as little wears in the direction of the airflow on the flat part... :)

This also shows a bit of the washing in watercullers and matt whites.Also check out the rad hole I drilled for the landing gear indicator. Beat that Radu! :lol:

Thanks for looking. Now I is off to go lick and stick them other stickers on the larboard side, so's I can move on and get to the gearside sometime next week. ;)

post-4-1139019087.jpg

Its a Hucks starter dog not a cannon barrel you're building right? Not all Mig 3s had them.

Heeheee <_< Just checking if everyone is awake :blink:

I rebuilt the tube system which attaches it to the kit, and punched it through to ease dry fitting. I migh just shorten it, or plug it up . But I will probably just shorten it. The plastic parts are the kit spinner, the propeller itself is a Bf109E prop from a lost cause.

Thanks for looking Fanch!

Guest LSP_Jay L

Very. very cool Piet. That landing gear indicator hole is the most impressive bit of modelling I have ever seen you do mate! How do you get them sp round?!! Can you do up an article on making landing gear holes for the articles section do you think? <_< :blink:

Seriously though Piet, this one is coming along very nicely.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Also check out the rad hole I drilled for the landing gear indicator. Beat that Radu! :blink:

Hi Piet,

You raised the bar pretty high with that model. The MiG3 is a "racy" plane - one of my favourites.

Hard to beat your work on the LG indicator though <_<

BTW, nice decals. ALPS or Inkjet?

Radu

Darn, I can't imagine how you did the lg indicator hole... :)

Not to worry! I'm writing a tutorial as we speak :)

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I really appreciate it.

Radu. Racy is absolutely the right word. Although layout wise it is the same as the other single seaters here, it is just completely different also. An alien plane that looks like it was built to go faster. I am getting very fond of it's look.

I have a small bubblejet. Would love and Alps but cant get or justify one (yet :) )

Does anyone here know what to use to thin Microscal Liquid decal film so I can airbrush it? I used some surgical spirits last night for a try and it seemed to be OK.But a better idea would be welcome.

I printed up a few of the slogan for experimentation, but only used two. Of the rest there are at least three that are on standard (no smudges or hairs and stuff). So if anyone is really seriously going to build this scheme,I'll donate them. Just yell.