HAL-3 and PBR scene 1/48

easixpedro

Thought I'd share this as it's been a long 2+ year slog, but I finally cleared it off my shelf of doom. No real in progress shots as I lost quite a few when I destroyed my phone. But I can tell you that the PBR is scratch built after scaling down plans to 1/48th. Kind of a fun thing to build.

The helo on the other hand is why this project almost got scrapped. It's the archaic Monogram Huey Hog. It's got some nice details, but is not correct for either a UH-1B or UH-1C. HAL-3 flew predominately B models, though they were updated along the ways. Hueys are confusing...  Enter the Kitty Hawk UH-1D. I bought a perfectly good kit just to cut it up and improve the Monogram dog. I have a screw loose. Gutted the interior and replaced it and then used the entire KH section forward of the overhead windows. Didn't help that the Huey Hog kit was so warped that getting things to align sapped my will to live. Then I went back and recovered the KH bits with Archer Rivets to blend it with the Monogram pieces.  Used the KH rotor pieces and trimmed the blades to B model standard. Rocket pods are from Shapeways, and saved me a lot of heartache. Anyway, on to the pics...

20200626_084104

20200626_084052

20200626_084240

20200626_084517

20200626_084314

20200626_084326

20200626_084416

20200626_084359

20200626_084439

20200626_084545

With this project finally complete, I can start thinking about my 1/32 EA-6B.

-Peter

I had an old work chum that was a .50 gunner on a PBR in Vietnam. He made a copy of a recording for me, of a night firefight between roughly 100 NVA troops, the PBRs, Seawolf and Spooky gunships. Quite a cool thing to listen to.

15 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Dude this is awesome! The water looks outstanding!!

cheers

pigfighter

Thanks Pig! Forgot to mention it if people want to attempt--I watched some Swede's water tutorial on YouTube. It's actually toilet paper (?!) covered with elmers glue and painted. After it was painted, I just slathered on about 5 coats of Liquitex Gloss Gel. I finally got the hang of it after several builds. Go slow and layer it. You can make some cool waves, or the water spouts like I did (look at the concentric circles, just like throwing stones in a pond...)

20200528_085720
3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I had an old work chum that was a .50 gunner on a PBR in Vietnam. He made a copy of a recording for me, of a night firefight between roughly 100 NVA troops, the PBRs, Seawolf and Spooky gunships. Quite a cool thing to listen to.

That is cool! I have a couple of recordings of actual CSARs done by HC-7. It's crazy to listen to and hear the door guns firing over the radio chatter.

48 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

That is cool! I have a couple of recordings of actual CSARs done by HC-7. It's crazy to listen to and hear the door guns firing over the radio chatter.

Agreed. In the audio tape, you can clearly hear the miniguns firing over the radio, then the echo afterward, recorded on the audio tape. Really cool stuff.