1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

As far as I'm remembering correctly the cellon cover is at the same level than the fabric. Only the border made by the sewing machine is very slightly protruding. Accordingly, the decal should be put in a wood painted recess and the clear tape added to fill the recess. If you just put the decal over the surface and put a clear tape over it, this will not look like the stamped spar surface but rather like a label added over the fabric. This may look trivial but keep in mind this is simply the most visible area of the kit.

I think the problem with creating a recess is that it too will look wrong in 1/32 - on the real thing, the 'recess' (if you can call it that) is literally only the depth of the linen and dope, so no more than about 5mm. Richard Alexander confirmed on the WNW Facebook group that they were not going to model it as a recess. I think the best solution is wood decal covered in gloss varnish or thin tape and then surround it with Aviattic 1/32 etched rib stiching to give it 'depth'.

6 hours ago, vince14 said:

I think the problem with creating a recess is that it too will look wrong in 1/32 - on the real thing, the 'recess' (if you can call it that) is literally only the depth of the linen and dope, so no more than about 5mm. Richard Alexander confirmed on the WNW Facebook group that they were not going to model it as a recess. I think the best solution is wood decal covered in gloss varnish or thin tape and then surround it with Aviattic 1/32 etched rib stiching to give it 'depth'.

Yes, I saw that too, and I'd agree; simple enough to simulate, though I do think Meng went a bit overboard with their impression of the raised area of fabric, leather or whatever it was specifically in that area. Richard also claims the plywood wedge on the interior was painted a red/brown color. I strongly suspect the new book by Ray will clarify some of these issues.

• 2 years later...