Making Custom Airbrush Masks

Just sharing a quick video I put together showing how I use my Silhouette Cameo cutter to make custom model masks.  Currently using them to create markings for my 1/32 P-47D.  I also show the results of ones I've made for my 1/32 Dauntless, Skyhawk, and HpH P-63.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments about making custom airbrush masks.

Hope it helps!

Chad

thank you Chad.

the Silhouette Cameo (or similar) is going to be my next purchase

i think codes and insignia as decals in 1/32 and above are going to be pretty redundant once people realise they can do this at home and after a little work get results that are just as good as paid for services

i cringe when i think how much money i have blown on custom masks over the past 2-3 years!

thanks again

Nick

Great video!  I am using a scan of a decal sheet to try and make masks. I don’t have the machine yet but on your advice I downloaded the software. I’m getting a little lost following your steps once I have the jpeg uploaded to the software. How are you getting the image sized to the correct scale and then what did you use to isolate and trace one area.  Lastly, once you do get a part isolated and traced out, can you go in and clean up the red lines?

Thanks,

Leo

• 3 weeks later...

Great tutorial.  I'd love to set up an online repository where we share our various shape files so that I don't have to recreate the wheel to do a scheme that someone's already made a mask for.  

I just did my first mask on a P-39 I'm working on and it came out really well.  Learned some lessons, but had fun and am happy with the results.

Edited by Gewehr 43