1/32 Bf109-G2

Radub

Guest LSP_Jay L

I agree totally with both of you. I persoanlly use a wash on the inside for the same reasons as you Brian, to pick up the detail and make it more easily visible. The wash is for Shadow only as you are right Radu, no self respecting pilot/grouncrew team would allow too much dirt etc. to build up. We all do these things for our own reasons so it is good to see so many different methods result in excellent finishes.

Cheers guys,

Jay

I know I said that this was going to be an "easy model" involving no fabrication. Well, I could not resist.

I started by making a new flat roof for the wheel well. One thing led to another, so I ended up scratchbuilding the entire wheel wells without the canvas covers. Cables will be added later after painting.

post-4-1134685310.jpg

Another angle. The photos are not the best. These were taken using flash, so ther is a lot of glare. I will try to get better pictured in daylight later. I tried to use a wash to bring up the scribed detail - it ended up looking dirty instead <_< .

post-4-1134685418.jpg

This shows the holes and the circular panel that had to be filled in. Those holes are not applicable to this G2 (they are actually meant for fuel tank racks or stovepipe rocket supports - maybe later issues of this kit?). The circular hatch is the ammunition loading hatch for the underwing cannon gondolas (not used on this particular plane).

I also filled in the clear part and surrounding detail.

Radu

post-4-1134685999.jpg

Radu-truly inspirational work!How did you make those raised rivet heads for the gear leg troughs?Absolutly fantastic scratch building.You and Brian keep raising the bar so to speak and it gives modelers like myself something to aim for.I'm very impressed.Keep up the excellent work on your OOB 109...LOL...cheers

Hi Radu,

you don´t make it easy for me. It´s hard to resist... <_<

How did you get that circular frame on the wheel well roof? Attach the glue step by step when turning the plastic stripe around? And how do you make the rivets?

Please let us know how you get this all so clean.

Great work mate!! Always a pleasure to watch.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Dave, those rivets in the LG throughs were made from stretched "sprue" slices (the sprue was actually a piece of 2mm Evergreen round rod). This was sliced very thin with a scalpel (like salami slices). I picked each of the "rivets" with a fine brush dipped in MekPak and aplied it where needed. After they were dry, I sanded them gently with micromesh which levelled them and smoothed the edges a bit.

HTH

Radu

Later edit:

Hi Chris, thanks for the kind words. The "ring" on the roof was made from a 1mm-wide strip that I cut from 0.3mm plasticard. This strip was tightly wrapped around a cylinder of the right diameter (it was actually a piece of metal pipe), taped to the cylinder and then the ends were glued to each other. After the glue dried, I dipped the cylinder with the ring around it in hot water, which set it in shape. After that, it was glued to the roof part by gluing it little by little as I pushed it to conform to the curved roof shape. It took three attempts to get it right. Maybe that is why it looks so clean - the other two attempts were a mess and were discarded <_<

HTH

Radu