IAF AH-64A Peten

Dukie99

Hot on the heels of the two Cobra builds, I have just finished the old Revell AH-64A in 1/32. I built it as an IAF AH-64A Peten. Let's say it is my approximation of a Peten, I certainly do not claim exact accuracy, but I tried to include the main features of the Peten: the larger sponsons with the flares dispensers, the chaff dispensers under the winglets and the droptanks which you see all the times on the IAF Helos. I used an old Verlinden detail set (where the PE was missing, bummer), the flightpath AH-64A detail set and the antenna, pitot and chain gun are from Masters. The dcals are from Sky's decals. The flightpath set is very good and worth the effort: the wheels, the hellfire and all the wire cutters (nose, wheels, underside, topside) are from the set and do make a huge difference on a kit which is a bit barren but which fits well and has great raised rivets. I am very happy with it, not perfect by any means but I hope you will enjoy it.

i-P8kVgNP-L.jpg

i-P4BXr9q-L.jpg

i-hdWZhwG-L.jpg

i-964PCGQ-L.jpg

i-g7jNms3-L.jpg

i-zSqgNzf-L.jpg

i-n9BJbTD-L.jpg

i-2JG4Kzh-L.jpg

i-kRPM8mj-L.jpg

i-NGsQn3Q-L.jpg

i-PGHh47j-L.jpg

i-qKkjXBs-L.jpg

i-mGZqdpj-L.jpg

i-LqrBjDH-L.jpg

i-95w7sGD-L.jpg

i-c8z79qG-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

5 hours ago, otis252 said:

Amazing build, great work. I've thought along time about building my Revell kit like this. Question, what did you get the drop tanks?

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. The drop tanks come from the 1/32 Revell Hunter kit. I went through a lot of kits in the stash to find something that was close in shape and dimensions and the Hunter drop tanks were the best match. I corrected the shape with Miliput and added the fins from plasticard and recycled pylons from the Flightpath detail set to graft them on the drop tanks. For reference, I used the Isradecals publication "AH-64A/D Peten and Saraf", which is very comprehensive with detailed walk around of both the Peten and the Saraf. I would say that in 80% of the pictures in that book showing Apaches in flight, the bird is sporting the drop tanks. I don't think there is any picture where the IAF Apache are carrying rocket pods. For me the drop tanks were the nr.1 mod to do to make it look like a Peten.

I would love to do a Saraf, but that would be a much more ambitious project. I honestly think the kit is a very good base and it's too bad there is not more AM for it. Imagine an Aires pit, Brassin Hellfires and Quickboost Longbow radar, then I would start a D in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

David