Vector/Tamiya P&W R-2800 Late.

Padubon

Hello,

A few guys asked me to show the way I build radial engines, so here I go.

First things first, research and common sense. Not all the engines look the same. 

An aviation engine with 100 hours, operated at home base, looks super clean when compared to a 100 hours engine located on a combat zone.

The paint also changes quite a bit. I have seen radial engines with little hours and the gear box has a shiny Medium gray color. Also, I have seen old engines with faded paint that looks more like a flat Neutral gray. 

For this build, I chose the Vector Late 2800, but I was quite disappointed with the mounding of the cylinder heads. I decided to use the cylinder banks from a Tamiya radial engine.

nR6nwZc.jpg

I decided to mate the Vector’s gear box, magnetos and propeller governor with the Tamiya cylinder rows. I had to build new push rods for it though.

wZVo6cN.jpg

1lGSfQV.jpg

Z6ZQerV.jpg

I used the Vector’s ignition harness and very thin soldering wire for the spark plug leads.

koKbPhd.jpg

A7fIs0P.jpg

I painted the whole thing with Tamiya semi gloss black, alclad aluminum for the cylinders, neutral gray for the gear box, semi gloss black for the push rods and governor, then dark earth for the spark plug leads.

ds8AotW.jpg

ehmuEhJ.jpg

I added the oil lines between the valve covers with more thin soldering wire. After that I put a coat of gloss on the thing and applied Tamiya panel line black to enhanced the details and I call it done.

gvQz3uu.jpg

J53lbWJ.jpg

I hope this was of some help.

Edited by Padubon

7 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

You make it look so easy.....

Thanks for posting this!

+1! Nice choice using the Tamiya cylinders with the resin. I will have to remember that as I have a couple of those myself!