Luftwaffe Letter Code Sizes?

AlanG

I'm in the middle of planning a build of a Ju88 A17 from 1./KG26 (1H + VH) and i cannot find any AM decals for the particular aircraft anywhere in 1/32. Airdoc do them in 1/48 though.

So i was wondering if it is possible to 'mask' aircraft code letters/numbers (big and small) and if so what sizes would i need (presuming they are a set standard). Also what mask material would you suggest?

Ive not hand masked/cut anything for quite some time with the addition of a Silhouette cutter. If you have some large Tamiya/rice paper style tape I might suggest that, with a sharp #11 and a ruler.

If you do happen to have a cutter, I can highly recommend Oramask 810 or the like to use on the silhouette as there are a LOT of fonts out there that the cutters accept.

Here is something to consider. It is a lot to shell out for initially but pays for itself in the long run. I purchased this set and now I do not have to acquire markings in decal form like I used to. Plus, airbrushed markings look better than decals. https://www.am-works.com

OKGOe95.jpg

Edited by GDW

While those AM Works masks likely work great for aircraft with all those nice flat surfaces, I can tell you from experience they are a PITA using their armor sets with all those angles, tool clasps, hatches, and what-not mucking up the process.

Edited by CATCplSlade

Agreed the templates do look good, and I can see where they would be useful.

I think though for the price they seem to be asking for it, one could nearly invest in a Silhouette cutter, and with a small investment in cutting material, you would have the ability to paint on as many markings as you could ever hope for. Even then, you could  nearly print enumerable other types of codes and designs too, not just German codes.