Which Late 1/32nd scale B-17G kit is good for...

Brandon Sutherland

Hey folks! :)

I have chosen my subject which is "BOBBY SOX" from the 850th BS, 490th BG. I will be doing the art work myself such as the pin up and unit markings. What I am currently having trouble with is which kit in 1/32nd scale is appropriate for BOBBY SOX which is a Vega built machine, B-17G-50-VE S/N 44-8158. Staggered waist gun positions, Cheyenne tail turret setup. But had the more pointed perplex nose versus the Boeing built machines. Does the new latest so called new  "Late B-17G kit" fit this? Or the first release one as I cant find enough information.

Much thanks folks!

I’ve not seen the transparent parts in the second release, so can’t comment on the nose cone piece I’m afraid (although I imagine it’s the same as the original issue which was the earlier style nose) but the rest of the kit as it is fine for the version you wish to depict. 

Tom

Hi Brandon

The early B-17G had the more pointed nose plex. The nose was shortened because of the blast effect from the chin .50's when fired at an upward angle. They didn't have to add the elongated blast tubes to the guns with the new nose piece.  Old or new a/c - each could have mix and match due to battle damage, etc. Best to have photo documentation, if possible, for your specific model. That said, it's your kit to do with as you will. There will not be a quiz at the conclusion of your build.  Having fun is the Standing Order of the Day! :)

BTW, I love Bobby Sox, too. Any way I can get a decal copy of the nose art from you? I have 8 x 10's of the nose art if that would help in your project. PM me your address if you'd like a print.

Cheers,

D.B.

They made some improvements when they released the B-17F (e.g. they removed the infamous step in the floor of the radio compartment). The sprues for which such changes were still applicable for the B-17G were accordingly used for that "new" release. Besides that and the decals, there are no major changes.

Hth

Thierry