Tamiya 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hein (Tony)

CANicoll

After battling again and again with the various Roden and Hobbycraft WWI kits I wanted to do something less taxing and more interesting so picked up this kit.  Also bought the added camo decals from Tamiya (more on that later) as well as the Barracudacast exhausts - which I ended up not using as they are too short and added no additional detail.  Oh well.  I did add the (horrible) decal seatbelts but since the canopy is only modeled close, can't really see those or what is actually a really nice cockpit with a lot of detail.  That is too bad.

Nice decal for the IP, but I did cut off the top from the bottom for better alignment with the raised details on the IP.  A bit of light dry brushing with aluminum as well, esp on the right side of the IP and on the front of the seat.

kL5jqQ.jpg

lDbAkf.jpg

As you would expect from a Tamiya kit, the parts fit beautifully.  We'll talk about the decals in a bit...

QxBEQk.jpg

This is NOT a big airplane in 1/72 scale!  Here the cockpit is slipped in from the bottom and the 'spine' piece behind the cockpit is installed..

pTTo5y.jpg

bcTRzb.jpg

After attaching the wings and horizontal stabilizers attached the cockpit and the Eduard masks.  If I were to do this again, I would paint the tail red before adding the horizontal stabilizers.  Doing it afterwards was possible, but involved some tricky masking. 

EE4n2x.jpg

Gloss black Vallejo primer served as the base for the White Aluminum top coat (and Flat Aluminum ailerons).

QyYYDs.jpg

Bottom right in the photograph are the exhausts which have a gloss black outline.

And the landing gear is uniquely a gloss black too with yellow at the bottom.

lt3etN.jpg

The Vallejo Metal Color White Aluminum went on very well.  The topside will be mostly covered with the Camo decals and the tail gets a coat of red.

LbiT4X.jpg

Qt3qzN.jpg

I used some Tamiya tape on the radiator underneath to use as a holder. :-)  Here are some of the paints I used.  Humbrol was for the prop and spinner.

IRrjgW.jpg

eE2FNF.jpg

Masking for the ailerons and the wheel wells:

X95W14.jpg

jyFm6Z.jpg

And the flat aluminum ailerons:

PSRFbQ.jpg

And the red tail and the wing decals that go under the camo decals:

MxjmAH.jpg

More coming!

Chris

Underside with the Hinomarus and yellow wheel wells:

xgZGqG.jpg

Topside after the wing camo decals have been applied.  The printing of the camo decals is not fantastic.  Up close you can see the dots from the printing.  Not exactly Cartograph.  :o

TcLsaA.jpg

Top view of the fuselage camo:

qFw0IU.jpg

It is easier to attache the very long fuselage decals if you cut them, especially the left side where the nose has two different cut-outs for the carb intake and the exhausts.  Might also want to cut them along where the stripe goes) this is the right side.  I cut the nose part off so I could more easily align over the exhaust (after doing the left side as all in one piece.  Not again!):

56v0W0.jpg

tOwR6h.jpg

qJb8mG.jpg

The camo decals are very thin and I only used MicroSet on them and the pretty much instantly went down into the panel lines.  Much harder to get the second decals going over the camo decals to get into the panel lines (like the Hinomarus and the stripes).

Test fit of the landing gear and prop after applying the blue stripe:

1psz07.jpg

a45J7r.jpg

loFEBA.jpg

And the final product!

3EFy93.jpg

oq9Ie7.jpg

VMDqzL.jpg

bxWJtx.jpg

A little blurry, sorry!

ccAbDb.jpg

Love the scheme, but the relatively poor quality of the camo decals is something Tamiya needs to fix, especially since they cost extra.  Looks really good in pictures and at a distance, but up close you can see the silkscreen printing  But I do like the scheme.  Also would really like an open canopy option to show off that really nice cockpit.

But a fun, nice kit overall.  And NO RIGGING!  YAY!!!

Chris