Corsair (F4U-1D) Interior Colors

John1

Couple of questions - What color is the inside of the cowling (and cowl flaps for that matter)?  Tamiya called out a dark grey.   Is this correct?  I would have assumed YZC.   

For the lower fuselage (the part that is directly under the cockpit assembly, including the main spar - would it be YZC or since it's technically part of the cockpit, Interior Green?   

Also, just to confirm, the main gear bays and interiors of the wings that are exposed when they are folded- Gloss Sea Blue, as per the Tamiya instructions?

Thanks very much!

The rule for factories was supposed to be one coat of primer (YZC) for areas not exposed to wear, two coats of primer (Interior Green/Dull Dk Green) where wear would occur (Cockpit, wheel wells) and of course camo where areas would be visible. But many times GSB was painted in areas were exposed to the spray painter, such as the wheel wells. 

As for the inside of the cowl, I have seen grey and I believe interior green, but I am not sure which variant that was. I am sure others can chime in, but I would have to pull a few ref's to give a better call on that one.

Thinks Ray,  any additional info from those references would be appreciated.  

I haven’t found any color shots that show the cowl interior.   Can’t imagine why they would have used a nonstandard paint like dark grey unless it was some sort of high temperature paint?  

Unless someone has additional info, I’m planning on using Interior Green for the lower fuselage and YZC for the spar.  

Hi John,

This is for F4U-1Ds only - Interior Green would be used in the cockpit only.  All other primed surfaces would have one or two coats of yellow zinc chromate.  (Vought had an exemption - they applied the first coat, then stamped it with a black marking if a second coat was to be applied.  If there was a translucent yellow film over the stamp, inspectors knew that two coats had been applied.)

Wheel wells and cowls used up leftover paint.  The wells were generally Glossy Sea Blue, but some were Light Gray.  The cowl could be Light Gray or Intermediate Blue camouflage paint.  (Leftover N/S Sea Blue and Semi-gloss Sea Blue were used as the first coat for exterior camouflage, then oversprayed with Glossy Seea Blue.

As you already know - no Indian Red/Salmon on F4U-1Ds.

FG-1Ds were similar, but could have black cockpits above the side consoles...

Cheers,

Dana

Wow, thanks for the quick response Dana!   Never would have thought the interior of the cowling on a GSB aircraft would have been those colors.   

Thoughts on on the wing fold area on -1D’s?   GSB?

Unrelated  - any chance you’ll do a book on the last of the F4U series (specifically the -4, -5 and AU-1)?  

Thanks again!  

One question that didn't get answered.  Any idea what color the interior of the cowl flaps would be?   Tamiya only indicates the mounting points are the same dark grey as the rest of the cowling interior.  Nothing for the inside of the flaps themselves.   I've seen multiple builds and there is no consistency.  Some are grey(ish), some are GSB.   Any advice is appreciated, I'm building them in the open position and the interior will be pretty visible. 

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Sure it did.  That's part of the inside of the cowling.

Technically it’s not and since it’s visible outside the aircraft, I thought it may be treated differently. With your clarification, I’m good to go.  

Thanks chap!