Fisher Sea Fury: 7/7/18: The Centaurus/ Change of Plans

Guest Peterpools

Guest Clunkmeister

Andy

We really need a mini GB for all the Sea Furiy's just waiting to be built

Peter

Peter, I'd be all for that. I have two in the stash, one's an early kit with the open wings, and another is the second run with folded wings. I really want to do the folded wings, but it sure seems like a weak join prone to failure when jostled. Those resin hinges are really small...

Guest Peterpools

Hi Ernie

Completely agree. I've been spending a lot of time cleaning up the three piece wing sections for the folding wing version and after doing some test fiting, and lots of research, I'll be adding wing locks to beef up

fhe fold. I do have an extra wing from my first Sea Fury build and I have been comparing the wing castings. The one piece unfolded wing has zero flaws, is beautifully smooth and close to perfect. The newer three piece wing has a few small air bubbles that needed to be filled with thin CCA, the castings are not as perfect as the one piece wing and doesn't seem to feel as smooth. But the center section of the three piece wing fits a bit better when test fitting it in place on the fuselage. Still gorgeous moldings but not as gorgeous as Paul's one piece wing.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 7/7/18: The Big Bristol Centaurus and a Change of Plans

With the front office virtually complete I turned my attention to the three piece folding wings. Test fitting the center wing section and then gently hanging the outer wing in place in the resin brackets, I was struck by two points.

The first: Ernie brought up his concerns about the attachment points being small resin hinges and he questioned the strength over the long haul. It started me wondering the same.

The second: How the Sea Fury looked with her wings folded up – I wasn't keen on the look as compared to my Tamiya Corsair with the folded wings; the Sea Fury just looked better with her wings down and locked. Now what to do. From my first Sea Fury build and my first resin kit, I had a fit issue and one email to Paul and a few replacement wings and cowls were on their way. All went perfectly from there and I had extra parts for future Sea Fury's down the road. Make a long story short, I pulled out the replacement wing, popped it in place to see how things looked and the three piece wing has been retired for another build. Ailerons and flaps were not included in the kit as they were molded in place on the three piece wing, so an email to Paul and the needed parts are on their way; customer service at it's highest level: Thanks Paul; you're the best!

I decided to prime and paint the wheel wells as it will be a lot easier to do now then after the wings are in place: Primer: Mr Surfacer 1200 and MRP Sky Type S were air brushed on and then the molded in place details were brush painted with Tamiya paints, followed up with a nice application of Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash.

The Centaurus engine is a plug that fits into the cowl and the cowl has a large access panels that will remain open to see the engine. Looks easy, paints up beautifully and the attached photos show how many paints and colors I used. I didn't spend a lot of time on the front view, as once the spinner and prop are installed almost nothing can be seen inside the cowling but I still painted the cylinders and exhausts to be on the safe side. The plug was cast perfectly and required a few gentle passes with a sanding sponge for a perfect fit. I forgot how much time I spent the first time with this assembly and again it was the better part of a day this time as well.

The Centaurus was glued in place with Loctite CCA and some blocks of Evergreen strip for peace of mind. After the Centaurus radial was glued up, I installed the front office. A bit of TLC was needed along with liberal amount of CCA and some thick Evergreen strip to beef up the install.

I've started working on the spinner and prop assembly as can be seen. Paul provides a jig insuring the five prop blades with be installed perfectly.

Before starting the build I was tossing around one of the two paint schemes and initially wanted to go with a RAN 805 SQ aircraft but decided on Lt Peter “Hoagy” Carmichael's 'Mig Killer' aircraft. With all the changes going on, I reverted back to the Royal Australian Navy 805 SQ, Bankstown 1968, in the all Oxford Blue scheme. I do have two photographs of the aircraft taken in 1968 and of course there are a zillion photos of the restored aircraft flying today.

Thanks for checking in

Next up:

Finishing the big wing and the install.

Peter

6s8ZCq.jpg

cqGzYy.jpg

Paints & Primers used on the Big Centaurus and Cowling

OwCCSK.jpg

The new one piece wing and the three piece wing

vzNRod.jpg

Ready for attaching the Big Wing to the Fuselage

E8JRKt.jpg

Finally reached the assembly stage

DJuCUy.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Looking good!  I've built two of these now. It's a great kit. You will most likely need to do some filing work around the wing saddle but will a little careful material removal you can get an almost perfect fit.

Ron

Great stuff Peter, and I also agree about the look of the Fb.11 with its wing folded VS locked down. Right move I think. I still have one of Paul's 2nd run Sea Furys in my stash awaiting a start.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Oliver

That would have been a possibility but I have the one piece wing already glued in place and ready for some epoxy reinforcing.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ron for the tip - did the necessary sanding and the wing in glued in place and getting ready for some filling and fitting the cowl assembly

Peter