Wolf Buddee

Oxygen bottle colour for Tamiya's Corsair.....

I posted this question in my current build thread but I thought I might get more readership here. I haven't been able to determine the correct colour of the breathable oxygen tank located on the lower portion of the rear cockpit frame. I've seen a lot of folks paint it yellow as most restored F4U-1a have it that way. Tamiya's instructions suggest painting it silver. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Wolf

Very cool pics Martin! The first one you sent me, the one that shows the bottle in a dark colour, could be yellow as certain types of film could make yellow look very dark. It could be green as we discussed as well. I also like the detail of the strap that secured the bottle at the top. Hhhhmmmm, may have to add that as well. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Very cool pics Martin! The first one you sent me, the one that shows the bottle in a dark colour, could be yellow as certain types of film could make yellow look very dark. It could be green as we discussed as well. I also like the detail of the strap that secured the bottle at the top. Hhhhmmmm, may have to add that as well. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf if you look at the picture in your cell closely, there are chips of different colour on that bottle, so it is save to say that it was repainted.

Thanks Martin. Green it is but should I add the white band? Now I have to add the red tag to the bottle as well as it says DO NOT REMOVE THIS TAG FROM BOTTLE. Sheeese!

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight after work. I got me some nice MM Willow Green that should do nicely.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

From having managed military inventory for years, I can tell you color is not always everything. Oxygen bottles could be Green, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Black, or White, paint was used to control corrosion and color was also used as a quick identifier, but sometimes different suppliers use different colors, in theater, it could have been anything. In the modern military, there may be more standard coloration, but not back that far. It probably varies from one manufacturer to the next. 

I will add that a bottle will have a contents tag, and inspection tag (pressure test), and service tag (fill date). In addition it will typically also have a condition tag (serviceable/unserviceable) when not installed in the aircraft. 

Edited by 1to1scale