Hobbyboss 1/18 AV-8B Harrier II released

Guest Vulcan32

I did a bit more work on the seat pan this morning, I made survival pack to place under the cushion. I just shoved them into the resin copy of the kit seat pan for the pics. They still need to be thinned and refined. I also reshaped the leg bolsters and added some Apoxi Sculp to the back of the seat pan.

GS3fdE.jpg1wwzdE.jpgfxWJxY.jpg

2 hours ago, A-10LOADER said:

Very nice work Harold. Any chance you could whip up some GBU-38's with the DSU-33 B/B nose fuse, I know I'm dreaming. B)

Steve

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3006011....I wonder if someone could talk him into scaling it in 1/18?

Edited by Harold

4 minutes ago, Luca said:

Harold, any chance to cast the whole cockpit all around the seat?

It seriously needs it..But I am overwhelmed with other projects and trying to make up for my wife's loss of income...(she is making half of her previous wage).

I think the side consoles and IP should be printed. If someone would do that, i could cast them in resin. 

On 9/2/2018 at 5:49 PM, A-10LOADER said:

A buddy of mine found these and printed them out for me.

IMG_6084_zpsns4cyeud.jpg

what's the technical name of this "catamaran"? are they gun-pods? it looks great...

Edited by Luca

is this the same?

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-25mm-gun-pod-mounted-beneath-the-fuselage-of-a-us-marine-corps-av-20778277.html

is it included in the kit?

AV-8B 25mm gun pod

AV-8B 25mm gun pod

GAU-12 'Equalizer' 5 barrel Gatling gun pod mounted on USMC Harrier II. The GAU-12 is a 2 pod system, this pod contain the gun. The ammo (300 rounds) and drive system are mounted in another removeable pod on the other side of the aircraft. Spent cartridges are returned to the ammo pod after firing. The Spanish and Italian Navies also use this weapon on their Harriers.

Edited by Luca

Yes that is the same. There is only one gun option for the AV-8B.

Not sure about 1/18 kit, it is included in their 1/32 kits though, sort of.... it is very poor, as I recall it assumes both halves have guns and the crossover is pretty flat. I can't imagine their clunky 1/18 kit improved it even if it's included. 

The gun/ammo pod is included with the 1/18th scale model kit, not with the pre-built/painted one released by MERIT, which is what I have. I belong to a 1/18th forum and someone who bought the model kit made some resin copies of the gun/ammo pod for those who had the pre-built jet and wanted one.

Now if I could just find some pics of the center line pylon that carries the AN/AAQ-28 Targeting pod on the Harrier, I'd be in business because I need to scratch-build one for my jet.

Steve