Guest Vulcan32

Hobbyboss 1/18 AV-8B Harrier II released

Guest Smitty44

This the one jet I can dig in 1/18. I'll take one! Wishe there were 214 decals though.

and the aftermarkets? a so large scale needs a lot of detailed aftermarkets (wheels, cockpit, weapons, PE exterior etc.)

I would have preferred the sharkmouthed RAF version (GR.7/9) though

Edited by Luca

I would suggest that this kit will have a certain gravitas without any aftermarket or extensive detailing.  As for markings, it should be easier to do the major markings with homemade masks.  That said it will be a wonderful canvas for someone who wants to dedicate a large amount of time to really detail this model.

Great to see manufactures trying new things.

Dan

The prebuilt ones retail for about £300 in the land of UK, so I'm guessing the customary figures parity with the US $175 retail - i.e. about £175, or £200 Brexit price.

If I was to start modelling with a clean canvas this model would appeal enormously. I couldn't see the radar gear or a lot going on in the cockpit but much could be scratchbuilt in this scale and actually be enjoyable.

Moreover, like the prebuilds, it looks more like a Harrier II than the Trumpeter 1/32 versions. If only Airfix would "new tool" the 1/24 Sea Harrier to this standard.

Tony

Pics of the parts here.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/02/hobbyboss-has-five-new-kits-for-february.html#more

Seems somewhat simplified for such a large size. The side console detail on the cockpit tub would be lame in 1/48 scale.

Like their 1/18 fw190 these appear to be the kit form of ready-made display models, but still it's cool to have one that big of the basic shapes and dimensions turn out to be good