Trumpeter SBD-2 Midway Survivor, Call her done!

dora9

Thanks Peter,

I know what you mean fussing around with the scoop! I'm having the same problem! Scribing clear plastic is really a pain in ....! Since everything will be painted, I left the engine bearers off so it was easier to fit the firewall, just a bit of filler where the upper deck join the firewall. For the cowl flaps, I'm thinking of re-doing them, would be more convincing.

Stay tuned!

Edited by dora9

So did the engine with all the spark plugs wires. Still the exhausts to be done and after that, painting the aircraft!

Nmh7g0Lh.jpg

rn6f72vh.jpg

A bit more work on the carb intake.

8sLTW31h.jpg

Too bad, as always, when you put the cowling and the prop there is not much showing! But I know it's there and that what counts in the end!

Stay tuned!

So today, after doing the engine, I decided to play it cool. It's +9C and raining right now in my little piece of land. So little update.

I did the .30cal gun. A bit of dry brush on it and a satin varnish on top that should be it for the gun.

5Gci40bh.jpg

5ikSAdrh.jpg

G5FlPZUh.jpg

Funny thing, I was doing some research on the net for pictures of Bu.Aer. 2106, the one I'm doing, and I knew about the one they fished out of lake Michigan but never made the connection between the two of them!

eVKTI4Sh.jpg

You can still see the yellow tail from pre-war years.

Stay tuned!

Edited by dora9

Guest Peterpools

Andre

Nice progress on your SBD. Engine looks good inside the cowling and it is amazing how much work the cowling has required.

.30 cal looks very nicely done as well and like the cowling, I spent as you did, a lot of time on such a tiny assembly.

Looking forward to your next update which should hopefully be close to the full priming stage of the build.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter

I added a little placard on the gear box of the engine, wich adds a bit more detail to it. Still a bit more work on the cowl to do, carb intake.

Today will be a slow one, yesterday we where at +9C, today it's -12C and 12 inches of snow so lot of shoveling in my near future! Or more bench time! :yahoo:

So how's the reading coming? Enjoying your book?

Stay tuned!

Edited by dora9

Guest Peterpools

Andre

The SBD sure looks good to and building it almost as a Buddy Build, I know exactly what you are saying. The carb intake so far has been a royal pain. I'm not sure I can even add the engine name plate since it wasn't included in the kit but the Cyclone surely can use it.

I'm hoping to do another update either tomorrow or early next week as I starting to install the wings.

Nice weather for sure ... that's just way too cold and way too much snow.

We went from 3F last week to 59 the other day Last night high winds and then temps are dropping with snow in the forecast. Our 14 inches of snaow is already gone gone between the high temps and a day of pounding heavy rain

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Peter

You may want to spread the fuse a little bit from the inside, so the wing to fuse join will be a lot better. I use some sprue left over to do this.

I want to try a new technique for painting, the hair spray tech. If all goes well, it will help me for the chipping. Never done that but the results look promising!

I'll keep you informed on the progress, wish me luck!

Stay tuned!