1/32 scratchbuilt Westland Whirlwind

ironman1945

• 1 month later...

The thing about scratchbuilding, it always seems to be one step forward, two steps back.

Earlier I had posted a question in "discussions" asking if anyone had any idea on how to debond epoxy. I knew from the "tips" forum that acetic acid/vinegar would debond the cyano, so I started with that. Turns out the acetic acid/vinegar also loosened the epoxy bond enough that I could remove the brass fuel tank reinforcement panels without too much trouble.

Here is a photo from an earlier stage showing the brass panel while still on. It doesnt show in the photo, but the trouble I was having was with the "ripples" that had developed in the brass. At first I thought I could even them out with Mr surfacer or filler, but it was getting to be too much of a mess.

post-562-1152427417.jpg

Which is what I did with the underside of each wing. I placed the fuel cover on the plastic, added liquid plastic cement, and after the plastic had softened, pushed the brass filler cap in. When dry, I reinforced with cyano.

post-562-1152427723.jpg

Here is a shot of the wheel wells to date. Ive added some lines and an oil tank, similiar to the merlin installation for a Mosquito. Note the water droplets, this was taken after sanding down the top or the wing/rinsing with water. I am still holding out hope that someone out there will have a reference shot of the wheel well that I can use as a reference... before I finally paint this beast!

post-562-1152427929.jpg

Finally, a shot of what I hope are the beginnings of the framing for the canopy and the windscreen. Earlier I had posted pictures of the clear vac canopy and windscreen, my plan is to cut away the appropriate sections from these white styrene forms to insert the clear sections into. I could just paint the frames on the clear vac... but I've been wondering if this is possible... in for a penny, in for a pound. My wife thinks I am a masochist.

Thanks to the everyone for the constant inspration and ideas provided here, without this website I would never have made it this far.

By the way, Matt, great BV155 V1!

More as it progresses... I hope to speed up now since having solved removal of the brass panels... that one had me stumped for quite a while.

Take care all and I hope your having a great summer!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1152428462.jpg

Dave,

An epic effort which, up to this point, have yielded spectacular results. Simply an awesome job of engineering and patience. My hat is off to you. Looking forward to more progress shots.

Best wishes,

Geoff

Guest canuck63

WOW :o :o :o :o :o !I fully second our friend who rightly said that that's modelling...in its purest form I may add!

I've been spending the past ten years superdetailing models inside out,mainly tanks,for which I've scratchbuilt many a full interior but let's face it...while imho superdetailing "modern" kits is just a matter of "watch and copy"(providing you've got the skills of course :) !) and/or add a plethora of aftermarket parts (sometimes the sky's the limit and we end up spending a boatload of money hoping to build the model of our life!),be them corrections or add-ons with the odd surgery here and there,what we see pictured here and in other similar threads is pure modelling art!I've made three or four full scratchbuilds of tanks which weren't available in a correct/detailed form, and I understand how frustrating it is when you've got to relegate to the dustbin that hull or turret or airframe or set of wings you've been working at so hard for the past three months or so,because you discover at the very last time,and for some obscure reason, that what looked nice and straight,ruler at hand,in fact it's not :angry: !

These threads remind me a little of the epical Gran Prix races of the late 40s/early 50s...there were people who raced Factory cars (kit which are jewels OOB requiring only minimal amount of add-ons to be fine-tuned),others who raced heavily hopped-up steeds available to the gracious few ( kits OOP which are not so accurate and require quite a bit of TLC and DIY to be brought to the latter's standard...or sort of!) and a few who built their own racers from the ground up,not for lack of funds(in fact it was just as expensive!) but to better suit their needs.....only to show at the starting grid with a jewel which would have given the others a hard time ond often win big time :D B) ;) !Me.....I'd have stopped in awe before the first "scratchbuilt" Cooper/Lotus/Brm rather than before a shiny Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa Romeo,even if,being a sportscars buff(you wouldn't have guessed,uh :lol: !) I'd have appreciate each and every car on the grid ;) !

I love this model....I love each detail.....I love the interior and I hope to see more real soon!

Cheers

Manny

Guest LSP_Jay L

Dave, this is coming along majestically. I can't tell you how much of a pleasure this is to watch unfolding as there is some serious modelling skill going into this project. Alot of careful planning involved as well as is evidenced by the thought process involved in your canopy.

Like K, I am really looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Cheers mate,

Jay

"The thing about scratchbuilding, it always seems to be one step forward, two steps back"...Only two steps back?... :blink:

Looking very good Dave. It looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel now (and, no, I don't mean a train coming the other way! :blink:). I have been trying to collect Whirlwind reference material, and there really is nothing out there, so just guess, then challenge them to prove you wrong! (looking at the rivet lines on the outside of the nacelles may be your only hope of identifying were any internal detail may be present - I have never seen a picture of the internal u/c bay plumbing anywhere - anyone got any Westland Whirlwind manufacturers build shots?).

Good luck

Derek

Guest canuck63

Here is a shot of the wheel wells to date. I am still holding out hope that someone out there will have a reference shot of the wheel well that I can use as a reference... before I finally paint this beast!

Dave,

keep your socks pulled up mate ;) .....if you cannot get hold of the ref finish the sucker and EPOXY :D it to a base, with some mechanics/soldiers/oil drums/sandbags/you-name-it strategically placed to deter the sneaky "light pen cum-dental mirror community" from "investigating" what's inside the nacelles....99% of these blokes cannot stick a stamp to an envelope,let alone scratchbuilding (and judging!) such a gem so.....&%€# them :angry: !On the other hand I know the feeling...I'm a scratchbuilder myself...YOU are the one who knows whether inside them nacelle there's extensive detailing or nothing at all :( !

Congrats Dave......hope to see more soon!

Cheers

Manny

Dave

Looking really nice. Now I'm trying this for myself I appreciate what it takes - sort of case of 'the agony and the ecstacy'. I am currently going through an agonising stage.

However this is an inspiration.

Matt Low