1/32 scratchbuilt Westland Whirlwind

ironman1945

Ironman, this is inspiring. Watching you bring this longwinded project so close to completion and it looks great. I just wish there was an option to buy one of these in kit form. Keep posting those images.

Is this Dave Wong of Victoria BC? I know a Dave Wong of Victoria BC who is scratch building a 1/32 Whirlwind. That looks very nice indeed. I have been following this thread with interest, and it just dawned on me it might be you. Look forward to seeing it finished, and I am sure you are too.

All the best

Brad

Thanks for the kind words guys. It HAS been a long haul, but about what I expected for a first scratchbuild. Its been marked by a constant feeling of stumbling and bumbling around, trying out everything I have heard and read about to see what works best for me. But its been fun, and it sure has given me an appreciation for the work and perseverence of guys like Radub and Paul Budzik, just to name a few.

Answers to questions:

Denie: I used Tamiya paints from spray cans... currently no space for the airbrush.... masked with Silly Putty (for a semi-soft demarcation line) and Tamiya tape.

LSP_Chris: Unfortunately I wont make it to the Nats; my wife and I talked about making it a joint vacation for the kids to Disneyland and me to the Nats, but work commitments combined with my getting suckered into coaching the city Junior Bantam football team have torpedoed the idea. One day I will make it to the Nats..

Brad-M: Hey Chief, it is indeed me, Dave Wong from Victoria BC! Havent seen you around the base lately, are you back at sea?

Here is another shot of the various subassemblies after initial camo. Note my son's Warhammer figure in the background... he is 10, and just today asked me about possibly building a WWII plane together. I'll get him going yet!

post-562-1185168788.jpg

One last shot for tonight of the tailplane/elevator assembly. Masking with silly putty worked out really well; simple to use and cheap to boot. In the earlier pictures I also used it to mask off the windscreen.

Take care guys, thanks again for the kind words; its time for me to find out how much I remember about airbrushing, shading and weathering.

Have a great summer!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1185169194.jpg

• 1 month later...

One last shot from the other side. Next, a bit of weathering, flat coat, paint the cannons, add the landing gear, add the canopy, add the windscreen rear view mirror, frame the windscreen, paint and add the bombs (by the way can anyone tell me the colour of RAF 500 lb HE bombs circa 1943?)...etc etc ........perhaps I am not as close to the end as I think?

Never mind its been very enjoyable...

Take care all and have a nice weekend!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1189848488.jpg