New guy with questions--Trumpeter Dauntless

Kurt_W

Good Afternoon all,

This is a fantastic site. I have been lurking here for a few years and am finally getting back into modeling after many years. 

Kits have sure come a long way since those I struggled with some 30 plus years ago.

I am considering several kits as a starter back into the hobby, and the Trumpeter Dauntless is one of the top on my list.

The version(s) I am considering are the SBD-3. I see there are two different Trumpeter kits available, one being the 02244 Midway version, and the other being the 02242 SBD-3/4 A24A. 

Would anyone here know if there is a significant difference between these two kits? I am looking at prices on the auction site and pricing fluctuates considerably between them. It's not clear to me why this is. 

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt, I believe the Midway version comes with an additional clear fuselage - in addition to the standard plastic fuselage parts.

The clear fuselage halves in the "Midway Clear Edition" are the only fuselage halves in the kit. No additional gray fuselage halves included.

HTH,

D

Thanks all.

After reading the comments, I went back and looked over the kits. The one listed for the lower price is also the one with the clear fuselage.

Does anyone see a distinct disadvantage to this? Seems to me once paint is applied there isn't any. Unless I'm missing something.

Kurt

Kurt,

:post1: 

I've had kits with clear cowls rather then the regular plastic. the clear plastic is generally a little more brittle. If you're not planning on having any part of it see through, just make sure you completely prime it before any color coats. 

Joel

The ones with the clear fuselage I've seen are running in the low $50's shipped from Asia. On the auction site. The non-transparent ones are running more.

The Corsair is on my build list. In the '80's I had super detailed an entire Revell Corsair interior, based on photos I had taken while at the Smithsonian restoration facility in Silver Hill. My father was an assistant director at the Air and Space museum in DC. Saw a lot of stuff at the restoration facility. Basket case Albatros in a box was one I remember distinctly.

That Revell kit was frustrating. Looking forward building a kit without all the frustrationsI had experienced back then. But I have a lot to re-learn.

I think the only external difference, other than the hook not being on the A-24, was the use of a larger, pneumatic tire for the tailwheel, while the Navy version had the smaller solid one.

Trumpeters Swordfish kits have duplicated fuselage parts, one set in clear, one in grey. Very handy for practising burnishing metal sheet, scoring panel lines and more. But yes, the clear plastic is harder and more likely to shatter if provoked.