4 July 1989, Russian MIG 23MF Flogger-B crash in Belgium.

Guest DannyVM

Will take a look in the stash for the nose cone and will sent it to you.

Mark

That would be great Mark, thank's mate for the help. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I'm sure you will get it sorted, Danny. Time will tell.

Thank God it's an M and not an ML/MLD. As to the latter two versions, the radome would be the least of your problems.  :doh:

I sure will do Erik, first i want to sort this problem out before i go further with this build.

the UC bay photo shows that there is no inner rim around the edge of the wheel bay opening. The Aires resin bay is a little bit too small for the opening. If you want to go this extra mile add some strip styrene to remove the step between the resin insert and the outer skin of the model.

Regards

- dutik

Oh ok, now i see it, thank's Dutik for this feedback, much appreciated mate :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Great stuff, guys.

And I was in Germany when that crash happened.  Saw it unfold in "real time" as it were.

I still remember the intercepting a/c reporting "there's no pilot," which confused people even more.

Are replacement noses available anywhere?  I have a Flogger B that will be East German one of these days, as well as a Flogger K as yet unbuilt.  Still waiting for that Cam Ranh Bay decal with the dolphin.

Tim W.

Hi Guy's,

yesterday i started to paint the different cockpit and wheel bay part's.

First thing to do, the base color. For the wheel bay's and ejection seat i used the same color.

sVcSkpTh.jpg

c5FVFjVh.jpg

For the cockpit i used the well know Turquoise color.

jEGWpEih.jpg

JK8MHveh.jpg

Next, the detail painting of the KM-2 ejection seat. I hoped that Trumpeter included the decals regarding the text on the head-rest. And yes they did :frantic: ........but..........in the wrong color :BANGHEAD2:  :(

I took the liberty to construct the kit's ejection seat, and i noticed that the seat cushion wasn't there?? Concluding, with the yellow text in mind that the guy's from Trumpeter used a early black KM-1 ejection seat as reference.

rcUSKaih.jpg

Ok, i don't have any blue printed text to my disposal, so i decided to go one without it.

Detail painting was done with Vallejo model color and Vallejo model air.

4f8FeM2h.jpg

bDtTAuHh.jpg

After that i put a wash on the ejection seat.

l4mtDmjh.jpg

hQV4pdnh.jpg

HHmUVjQh.jpg

1C0gbNch.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Fantastic detail and great painting, Danny. Looking forward to seeing more of this stuff!

Thank's Rainer :speak_cool:

More stuff is coming your way, but at a slower rate. After 5,5 months at home, i'm going back to work on Monday.

Great work, Danny. The wash looks a little heavy to my eye - might just be the photography. Would you consider a light rub with a thinner-soaked swab?

Jim 

Thank's Jim,

indeed, on the photo's the wash look's really hard. In real time it's much better.

Greetz

Danny

Today i received the Trumpeter MIG 29 nose cone from Mark (mark31). Sadly in a state which is simply said FUBAR (thank you postal services :mental:  :mental:  :BANGHEAD2: ).

The part was really squeezed and cracked, with the result of losing it's nice round form. 

UvH8nURh.jpg

xBq187qh.jpg

I all ready glued everything back in place, and i used the MIG 23 kit nose as a master which i putted into the MIG 29 nose to get a nice round form again. This will stay in place until i made a resin copy of it.

For now, the nose is primed and will be sanded once it's dried, until it get back the original form and smoothness.

JtMyKUnh.jpg

To Mark, i wanted to say, sorry mate for this but i will give your nose cone back in a original state and i will cast some extra copy's for you. :sorry:

Greetz

Danny

Finally got the mold for the MIG nose cone. I hope i can make my first casting today.

Here are some pic's of the preparation to make the mold.

First i made a box from plastic card.

kjPXExzh.jpg

In here, the nose cone will be trapped. :evil_laugh:

5urUVmoh.jpg

With plasticine i made a base to put the nose cone on, and to hold it tight.

h9wODNXh.jpg

Then i made the rubber and poured it gently into the mold.

pY0cIdah.jpg

You can see the air bubbles rising to the surface.

After 8h00 to 24h00 the rubber mold is dryed.

This will be the bottom of the mold.

GjHUWpmh.jpg

And the top, which is still covered by the plasticine.

kCOPyU3h.jpg

The plasticine will be removed, and then comes the second part of the rubber mold.

The nose cone is still trapped into the mold and is filled with plasticine (sorry i forget to take pictures of it) :oops:

I take two pieces of sprue and place them onto the plasticine that's in the nose cone. Again i pour some liquid rubber into the mold.

0NssZgbh.jpg

When the rubber is cured i remove the plastic card from around the mold.

6BXMCzPh.jpg

And also remove the two sprue's. Now i have my in and outlet for the later casting.

nTouoADh.jpg

And finally, i have a two part mold for the nose cone casting.

zes9XuYh.jpg

Greetz

Danny