Drummers of LSP, say hi and show off

Shawn M

Shawn,

I was going to PM you, but thought I might as well just bring this up in this thread, in case the information could be useful for anyone else in the future.

I purchased the Gretsch GTS rim mount for my 13" tom. However, when I took the old mount off, then only when I removed the two required lugs to replace them with the ones that came with the mount, did I find that the hole spacing is wider on the new lugs! :doh:  I was wondering if this was the case on yours and, if so, did you have to drill new holes for the other lugs? Or, maybe I got the wrong mount? If it means drilling holes, I think I'll just go with a snare stand, instead. I know it would be easy, but that's something I usually frown upon and would like to keep the shell as "virgin" as possible.

Thanks!

John

Shawn,

I was going to PM you, but thought I might as well just bring this up in this thread, in case the information could be useful for anyone else in the future.

I purchased the Gretsch GTS rim mount for my 13" tom. However, when I took the old mount off, then only when I removed the two required lugs to replace them with the ones that came with the mount, did I find that the hole spacing is wider on the new lugs! :doh:  I was wondering if this was the case on yours and, if so, did you have to drill new holes for the other lugs? Or, maybe I got the wrong mount? If it means drilling holes, I think I'll just go with a snare stand, instead. I know it would be easy, but that's something I usually frown upon and would like to keep the shell as "virgin" as possible.

Thanks!

John

Mate I think you have the incorrect mount. 

Thanks, Dale!

It's after 11pm here and I'm about ready to retire for the evening, but I'll see what other details I can dig up in the next couple days. However, my concern is that they may not make this exact style of mount with the specific lugs I would need. Still want to hear what Shawn has to say, as I know he switched mounts on his, too (exact same kit). If I can find the correct one in the same style, I may go for it. Otherwise, I'm not opposed to using a snare stand, either. I just thought this would eliminate the need for another stand and you know all too well how fast floor space is taken by stand legs!

Thanks again,

John

have fun  Dale.

Always. :)

im terrible at playing to a click, it lacks the feel and response of a real player

Mate just set the click to "cowbell" and pretend Luis Conte is standing beside you.

It's just practice. The more you do it the better you get. I was soloing in 5/4 over a 4/4 pulse the other day at 50 bpm. It is all practice.

Remember, the Practice police don't exist to arrest you when you make a mistake.

I was teaching a pro last week. I gave him an exercise, a Latin thing, and went to have a pee. All I heard was.

Ding clang ding "%%$##@!!!" Ding clangalang "&%((&^%!!!" Etc.

He had to take it home. But he'll get it. Then I'll add to it.

Cruelty is fun.  :innocent:

That's why I am working on 12 109's. Just the cockpits really. Practice. :)

Thanks, Dale!

It's after 11pm here and I'm about ready to retire for the evening, but I'll see what other details I can dig up in the next couple days. However, my concern is that they may not make this exact style of mount with the specific lugs I would need. Still want to hear what Shawn has to say, as I know he switched mounts on his, too (exact same kit). If I can find the correct one in the same style, I may go for it. Otherwise, I'm not opposed to using a snare stand, either. I just thought this would eliminate the need for another stand and you know all too well how fast floor space is taken by stand legs!

Thanks again,

John

Take your time mate. They shut over the weekend anyway.

When you're ready I'll ask.

No worries mate. 

Mate that's nothing. I had 33 cowbells! :D

No joke. 73 snares, 7 kits, multiple sets of bongos and congas, all sizes of surdos.

Madness. :D

I'm referring my wife to this post the next time I get caught trying to sneak another kit onto my property! "You see, honey? It could be worse. Look at this guy!" :rofl: :P 

John

I'm referring my wife to this post the next time I get caught trying to sneak another kit onto my property! "You see, honey? It could be worse. Look at this guy!" :rofl: :P

John

I remember reading an interview with Airto. He spoke about finding a lost triangle. He cried. :)

Anyway drummers. Something interesting just happened. I played bongos to Nepalese music. {former performer moves into b1tch mode: So American pop style you can hear the clave right away.  :whistle:

Anyway, normally when I move sticks I just rely on muscle memory and hoping the hell I hit the time. Today my hands have a sensation! I feel the results on the finger sections used to create sounds on the heads. This is like the first time in 2 1/2 years.

I wonder if my feeling is coming back? I bet bloody modelling has something to do with it. After squashing my 109 G6 I began holding more lightly. It's weird not being able to feel the sticks and pedals. 

Now if my feet. I am finding ghost notes on the bass drum hard. I'm always wondering if they'll be in time.

Oh yeah the collection. I was both drummer and percussionist. Sometimes one needs a steel timbale. Not a brass. ;)

I've been listening to the Nepalese language. I have been able to count in 4/4, with even breaks between respondents, AMAZING,and it's very funky. Around about 104 BPM down to around 80 or so. Barry White and Cold sweat. :D

I may ask a mate to film me on Saturday and see what you reckon. I'll just play to a click or something, maybe trade 4's and 8's. Make it funky.

It'll probably swing like a rusty gate. "PUT SOME BACON FAT ON THAT MOTHER...." well you know where it's going from there. :D

85E9771B-0502-4A68-8EE3-891193DEAE39_zps

This was my dream kit. I saved for it from 14 years old and finally had enough when I was about 18.

Orange County Drum and Percussion custom kit in broken glass glitter. (the real deal)

30 ply vented 14x6.5 snare.

22x20

12x8

16x14

18x16

Was so much fun to play and it took me around North America a few times. It's gone now, with two young kids it didn't get the attention it deserved. I could have kept it but it was too nice a kit to sit in cases in the corner. I'll get another one some day!

Edited by mz826