Drummers of LSP, say hi and show off

Shawn M

The kit arrived yesterday. I have to say that I really love it and my appreciation seems to grow for it every time I sit down behind it.

20161215_115412_zpsw4p6pysg.jpg

20161215_121635_zpsonpa4n4c.jpg

Small%2020161215_133740_zpsqfptf1up.jpg

20161215_133827_001_zpsv8sljrvz.jpg

I also like the fact that Gretsch went back to their more traditional looking round badge on the Catalinas.

small%2020161215_135717_zpsod7fqe1g.jpg

Shawn,

I see what you mean about the tom mount. It's not as bad as I suspected, but for a wood that already gives a more subdued resonance, this mount doesn't do it any favors. However, the rack tom is one of the high points of the kit, in my opinion. It had a nice sound to it, straight from the box, but only got better when I started playing with the tension rods. The tuning range was much broader than I expected and it seems to be at home low, or high, or anywhere in between. The same can be said for the snare. It was not bad from the start, but I realized that the resonant head was not much more than finger tight when I started checking everything. Once I got everything balanced out, it became a whole different drum! For a cheap, kit snare it's far better than expected and has a great range of tones and sound.

The floor tom has given me a little more trouble than the rack/snare. It has "that Gretsch sound", of course and seems to have nice tone at higher tension, but that's a tough one for me to get used to, given that I like things tuned lower, normally. At low tension (but still higher than what I'm used to), it sounds great. It just doesn't seem to have the range of the rack tom. However, I think that the heads have a lot to do with that, also. The same can be said for the bass drum. The batter head has to go, in my opinion. It's all attack and no tone/resonance. The front head is great, though. Much thicker than I had thought it would be and with a thicker coating, as well. I may still change it out for a fiberskyn head, if for nothing more than looks, but I think it's good, as is, too. I tried just using felt strips on the batter and resonant bass heads, but couldn't get the sound I was looking for. After several combinations (including full open with no muffling), I am at the point that I have one felt strip on the resonant head and nothing else. I'm still playing with the tuning and have it close, but that "plastic" sound of the batter head is nearly impossible to get rid of.

I will probably spend today behind the kit, again. :D I pulled out the brushes and had a go at it last night and this morning. It really sounds great with brushes, too. Since I will be playing this kit in church, that's a good thing, as I plan on using the brushes a lot more.

Overall, I'm very impressed. With just a couple small changes, this kit will be stellar!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Nice John, I swapped all the batter heads on mine out for black ambassadors, the bass I used an EQ2 on and the oem reso head with a port, no muffling.

The rack tom IS great out of the box, but opens WAY up with a change of mounts. Throw it on a snare stand to see what I mean.

The kit snare and I fought for awhile, finally I just started over with tuning and a new batter head and fell in love with it.

For me going from the Sonor's to these, the biggest thing I loved was how light the kit is! Its so much easier to lug around.

Shawn,

I think the total shipping weight was listed at 44 lbs. for the two boxes together. I'm willing to bet that almost 10 pounds of that was packing material (it was packed very well). So, yes, it's very light!

In going from my Tama and Mapex kits to this, there's certainly a lot of differences, especially in sound. But, that's what I was after; a different sound (and a smaller, lighter kit, because I have to move it around often).

John

It's intresting to see the talk about bass drum sizes especialy about the use of smaller sizes being as good as 22" drums. I'm totally the oppersite using a 24" x 18" bass drum, the depth is superb and really forceful in rock music yet can be quite subtle as well depending on playing style. Totally the oppersite to the bass drum my toms 8" 10" 12" 14" I tune quite high with the floor tom 16" I tune more to the bass drum, as I like the the contrest in sounds - I also tune my snare drum (a pearl master works custom ) quite high as well the sound really cuts! It must do as my band mates have been to jump when I rim it!

Edited by simon64

MPK,

I had a Sonor Force 3000 kit and loved that beast, one of THE best floor toms I've played.

I stripped and redid the snare and was very happy with it as well.

That's a great thing with Sonor. They always sound great. I had 33 classic Sonor snares. I am just keeping a couple. Now I'm with Sakae I don't need them anyway.

2014-09-18%2010.22.09-1_zpsukkabg2q.jpg

2014-09-25%2010.07.33-1_zpsqln4pdto.jpg

attachment_zpsslrbummf.jpeg

Etc.

I play anything from a 16" Bass drum to my 24".

Just depends on the needs of the music and the venue.

I love the 20" on my Vintage Ludwig kit, will miss it if it ends up selling.

Fred had either a 26" or 28" (I don't recall now) Ludwig bass in his shop, that sounded like an absolute cannon. I loved it, but it was sold off before I could grab it. I mean it really shook the place.

Love the response of this 24x14 bass. It's better than I expected, even with the batter being somewhat lacking in sound to me. I just came in from playing some more and I think Shawn got in my head. I lifted the rack tom free from the rubber isolator on the rim mount and gave it a couple hits, for comparison. MUCH more resonant and now I know exactly what he meant. Funny that it didn't bother me much at first, but now that I heard the difference......it's going to drive me crazy! :lol:

Starting to get into the motions on this kit. It's quite different than playing on a wall of toms, which is what I've been doing for most of my life. You wouldn't think it would make much difference, but it does, even if it's really just a mental block.

John

Sadly it has become difficult to use large bass drums on many stages these days.

If I were to take a gig these days I'd use a 20" or a 16". The 20 is a Sakae Trilogy. Just 3 plies and very light. Put a mic in it and it can sound as big as anything.

The hard thing about justifying something like my Sonor Designer was the weight. I can't imagine carrying it over my head through the kitchen of a jazz club. I can do that with the Trilogy and it sounds just as good. Different, but same quality. If worse came to worse and I had to have a larger BD, I'd use my maple Almighty 22". Astounding drum. In fact the entire kit. It is studio ready now.

Next week I am doing some recording. I will just use the Trilogy. I'll take 3 snares, 2 Trilogy and a 14x6 1/2 Sakae brass. Istanbul cymbals, hats crash and ride. It'll be nice to hear how it sounds under mic's.

Here's a shot of the 22" last week. The snare is a 14x5" Trilogy.

20161210_121736_zpsgnx1eghv.jpg                                                                                                                  

I played yesterday. I noticed something has changed in my playing. Possibly due to the fact I play both right and left hand lead, I am finding my right hand being left out during drum fills. The fills I am naturally doing generally consist of ghost notes played with my left hand around bass drum notes.

I recall back when Virgil Donati was my teacher. At the time Virgil was on a big Terry Bozzio phase. So the linear drumming on a tune like U.S. drag, by Missing persons, was something that really interested me. That plus my David Garibaldi/Mike Clark obsession, really helped develop my linear concept.

Now I find it cropping up unexpectedly.

Also some good news. A student, Steve, has just been offered a gig in a band that is doing very well. Apparently they are super popular in America. If Steve takes the gig his first show is in New York in about a month.

At this time, 4 of my students are playing in very successful bands. Others, such as http://www.paiste.com/e/endorser_det.php?page=bio&endorserid=5048 Jeff Doukakis, are working as full time pro's. Jeff does many album sessions and works with many people. If I am asked to play percussion and the band needs a good drummer, I always recommend Jeff.

I've noticed a change in my teaching personality as well. These days I do not drum for a living. I teach just to give something back. Yesterday I had a father interrupt me while I was helping his son. The father kept butting in and adding more pressure to a class where there should be no pressure.

I turned to him and said: "One teacher in the room. If you don't like it, I don't care." He shut up. I don't know whether or not they will return.

I also told an older drummer to play last week's exercise when he demonstrated it to me, "Play it like you mean it." This guy has loads of potential, but no idea how to develop it. He'll ask me about Art Blakey's phrasing, but his time is not together. I said "Mate, Art's dead. There's plenty of time to explore his phrasing later. Let's get our time sorted out first eh?" :)

He was agreeable. :D

I am teaching him Alan Dawson's Rudimental ritual at the moment, combined with drills taught to me by Virgil.

I am still blown away by the Sakae Almighty maple kit. It still has the stock heads on it, USA Remo emperor batters and ambassador reso's. The thing stays in tune. Yesterday I had to adjust one tension rod a fraction on my 10" and it was dead on. High end Sonor's also have this ability to stay in tune. Back in my studio days I always enjoyed Yamaha kits coupled with Sonor snare drums. A winning combination.

Of all the many drumsets I have played throughout my career, I think Sakae is the best. A huge statement to make. It seems now they are releasing their shells under their own name, they are putting more into it. For example, their RnD is superb. This is something lacking under Yamaha. Let's face it, musical instruments are but a fraction of what Yamaha offers. As long as they were making money, fine. Sakae keep trying new things.

The only negative IMO are the sakae snare wires. They sound a little choked. I liked the high end Yamaha wires in the past. Very sensitive. Again, much like the Sonor counterparts. I know that each wire in the Sonor factory is individually soldered. So I am looking for another wire to replace them with. Puresound don't cut the mustard. Pearl I won't even consider... Unsure what to try.

Yesterday I was offered an endorsement deal with another Turkish cymbal company. I really want Istanbul Mehmets. The rep' in Australia seems a little uninterested. I may contact the company directly. A mate of mine had to do that and they were most helpful and he has a full endorsement. I'll get him to help me out.

My Sakae 14x4 brass snare is on the way. Usually they are sold with regular style triple flanged hoops. Sakae calls the Righty Halo hoops. They do however offer the old Slingerland style hoops, which they call Mighty Halo hoops. Mine is coming with those hoops instead. I like the feel of these hoops and think they help control the overtones, similar to die cast, but without the shock. 

Anyway, that's enough drum talk. I could go on all day. :)

Hey guys.

I just had a great night out with a bunch of drummers. One guitarist showed by default. So funny, I think I missed a band offer when I answered a question about my plans thusly:

"Now the industry is dead I don't want to play that 2 & 4 stuff. I want to interact." 

:blink:

That was the expression I received in response.

Great guy, nice player. Won't ever consider me again. :D

So funny, I went from one place to the drum studio and practiced. I have numb feet, right, and I am playing and I heard this errant bass drum note. OUT OF TIME!!!

I was horrified. Oh well.

How to make this post interesting?

Drums need, IME, regular changes of head.

Did that make it worthwhile? My stupid opinion? :)

Here a drum in my collection. Circa 1920 Ludwig and Ludwig snare.

ForumRunner_20140924_084037_zps9zxukohg.

I got back on my kit this week as well, actually set up my vintage Ludwig Kit. I forgot how much I enjoy those drums, they have such a unique personality.

Its nice to be starting on a new recording project that my guitar player (and close friend) and I are writing all on our own.

It will be a long road, but should be very enjoyable to get the album completed.

• 2 weeks later...

1e91d33d-6d3b-4430-87e1-6e38199a0da4_zps

These things are great. You control the T section with a thumb. One can get so many combinations... I've used them on many gigs.

802ca228-95b1-4b9a-873b-bf1d1aa5604c_zps

1920's Leedy. Fitted with calf heads. :)

ForumRunner_20140919_111406_zpspw6kx3om.

Samba... My love.... Instruments seen here, Tan tan, repinique, pandeiro, agogo bells, caxixi, chekere, cuica....

perc01_zpsfuasuadh.jpg