North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

A lot of work on finishing the cockpit, the the task of joining fuselage halves. I was feeling uncomfortable about this as the fin needed too much pressure at the root to keep the halves mated and i knew this wouldnt hold.

Anyway - glued the halves together after a lot more work to keep the cockpit positioned first. and then the stress and hassles began. Ididnt go according to plan. It all looked beautiful in test fitting but once glued and I was holding it I just couldnt get the upper and lower surfaces to be perfectly aligned, the fin leading edhe being the dominant factor. as a result my carefully created holes for the formation lights at bottom are no longer aligned and the 2 halves are not as perfect as they were in test fitting, then add to that the one horizontal stabiliser ended up too high and I had to bend it right - at risk of breaking it off.

much foller required on top and bottom as the perfect match was now not so good.

This takes the wind out my sails. I have to say that vacforms are just not worth the hassle. Not again (well not the other harvard I mean) but I have to do my airliners - and they are much easier.

anyway - for now heres the result, and my energy reserves ar at a low

Congrats on getting the fuselage halves joined. That's a major step forward for sure. The enclosed cockpit with pilot really looks quite good. I must say that I'm rather sorry to see that you've shelved the BC-1 for now in favor of your KittyHawk build. 

Joel

Sanded all the filler down, then glued the forward upper and lower fuselage joins with much more success than the rear fuselage.. Anyway - its looking much better. a bit more filler and sanding to go.

Unfortunately the horizontal stabs are definitely not square. a bit of bending is only telling me that I am 1 step away from snapping it right off.

the next step is the new fillets at the LE of the horizontal stabilisers but how to get them square? I have a feeling the problem lies with the fat that the 2 sides mountings might be at slightly different heights? What do I do! Sigh - the lesson I learn is that doing such a job of joining them on the inside made them really strong and well mounted and despite the attempts to make them square and measuring them as such - as soon as the fuselage was glued - they were not square  .... means I should not have fixed them to each other inside. they needed that bit of play for final adjustment.

I see no alternative, Im just worried that the thin vacform empennage sides will tear . I will see if I can get it to crack but not break.

Ok - Fuselage and Rudder are done. Tailwheel fitted and ready for assembly post spraying.

Mainwheels hubs painted.

Next 2 jobs - the tailplane fillets and the centre section upper surface.

Did a lot of sorting of my hundreds of tins of paint. All nicely arranged now.

SBH,

The rudder and tail assembly really looks quite good. As Kevin said, it's starting to really look the part.

Now aren't you glad you stuck with this build? Can't wait for your next update as I'm always amazed at how a vac kit gets built. Has to be the hardest of  the various building types other then scratch building. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W