I'm sorry I can't help but find this funny :)

Is that why Marines are so tough?

U.S._Marines_with_Marine_Attack_Squadron

I mean, most of us would have used a wheeled cart but not the marines :)

I'll take a seat and follow this one, I always wanted to do a 1/32 Harrier.

There are plenty of reasons throughout their history the United States Marines are so tough, Camp Leatherneck/Bastion in Afghanistan where this photo was shot being no exception. If somebody is using the one 5 ton lift on the ramp, you do it the hard way. I hope  to show some new construction pics later, Thanks for following along! 

Hoo Rahhh and Semper Fi! 

Skeeter 

Go, Paul! (Though I'm beginning to suspect this is actually Martin's thread! :P )

Kev

Kev,

Martin loves to decorate build pages with useful photos, but I assure you that all work on this Harrier is being done in the US by me and not my favorite ex Russian spy Martin.  :)

Paul

Guest Smitty44

Here's a couple for you Paul, note what squadron. It's so weird, in these pics, when you look from the top there seems to be a little pinch. However its not really visible from any other angle!  Photo credits....ME!!

156672_3817030428616_1615637558_n.jpg

156672_3817030468617_2015299884_n.jpg

316395_2063158702919_1923151262_n.jpg

Edited by Smitty44

Thanks Smitty,

I have a few hundred pics to work from and lots of angles, I've got a plan for the wings, I dont see it as the deal break  on this kit, easy enough to fix.  

With this kit you can build up a great Harrier II plus out of the box for 97% of the folks who see a Trumpeter Harrier built, they know it's a Harrier. The kit is really pretty good, missing some things like panel lines rivets etc. here and there but I'd do this kind of detail work to any kit I work on, that's just me :mental:  

The .03% who care to correct the stuff I'm working though to chase accuracy a bit farther, is certainly optional. Posting first progress pic below this, and Thank you for taking the time to comment and Thanks for the great pics ! I do appreciate the support.  :)

Paul

OK So Tonight's Progress Pics! 

The Aires resin as I said earlier all fits without sanding and is very well detailed. When I opened my cockpit set, several of the tiny switch's had broken of the side consoles, and were not in the clear packaging, some of the other levers also broke off at some point before I got it. Anyway, no drama, I just spent the day cleaning things up, remove pour stubs ( minimal on these particular sets ) and give everything a good bath to degrease/remove sanding dust. No worries on the broken off parts, that's what modeling is all about, you make what you need when you have to.

DSC04014%20800x523.jpg

Removing the pour stubs was easy, the parts will soak overnight to degrease then I'll rinse and prime and see what I'm working with. 

872e2fc7-8130-433d-a88f-1af8de3688e8.jpg

I made a little diagram to show you what has to be modified to use the Aires cockpit. I didn't bother filling sinkholes, you won't see them once the pit is installed. The blue area needs to be profiled on the inside, I used a few grades of wet paper.

This looks much better NOT on super macro, should paint up nicely. The blank spots get  PE and Film.

DSC04021%20624x800.jpg

This is the fuselage exterior work I started on. The bleed air ramps that look like a tall skinny rectangle with a line though it comes raised as does a half inch square access panel. I removed both raised areas and am re-scribing the rest tomorrow when I get time.

DSC0401620800x391.jpg

The whole thing dry fit, my tape strips wore out on the nose from on and off etc, it really does fit nice and not to snug not to loose.

DSC04028%20800x352.jpg

DSC04027.jpg.

Well, I made progress today. Hope you enjoyed the update, more talking when I got more to show!

Paul

This theme is like an album :)

Thank you F's, you should have been in the group builds we had, it was like a comedy show and modelling 101 all in the same room. :rofl:

Hope to have more pics up later tonight.

Paul 

Nice project you started Paul. Yes, it's a shame we don't see more of these beauties in the finished line. Will follow along to see your slick little jet to the end ;)

Thanks Mike,

I'm going to try really hard to keep my bench cleared until this one's on the shelf. With the coming retirement of the Harrier from the West Coast squadrons, I felt it was important to have a nice model of one to fill in that gap in my collection and honor those who fly them or are crazy enough to have flown them.  I for one will miss the Harrier when it's gone.

Paul 

Paul

Nice star on the Harrier's front offcie

keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. In this case it's a multi media affair, and blending all these parts in subassemblies as I build and paint is going to be fun, first I have to do my thing and try and make it more complicated than it should be.  :rofl:  You know how we do! 

Seriously, I'm going to keep trying to build it up as I can take the "correction/modification process", and take breaks working on other parts of it when it's got me less then entertained.

More pics soon,

Paul  

Hi Paul,

i'm glad you mentioned the so much discussed short comings of this kit. When this kit came out, i also was interested, but soon i decided not to buy the kit because of the negative comment's. That was wrong, because today i know it is not always a no go, when a certain kit isn't called perfect.

So today i took a seat at the front row of the spectator tribune, to see how you will tackle these short comings and more important, the kit itself. That said, you're start is fabulous, and the Aires cockpit just give the model a extra value.

As i am a real fan of the earlier Harrier GR.Mk.3, the Harrier GR.Mk.7 is something i will get my hands on in the future, still i'm more and more interested also in a AV-8B+ version, time will tell. :hmmm:

Today, i will look and learn, so, i wish you all the best with this nice project Paul. :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Hi Paul,

i'm glad you mentioned the so much discussed short comings of this kit. When this kit came out, i also was interested, but soon i decided not to buy the kit because of the negative comment's. That was wrong, because today i know it is not always a no go, when a certain kit isn't called perfect.

So today i took a seat at the front row of the spectator tribune, to see how you will tackle these short comings and more important, the kit itself. That said, you're start is fabulous, and the Aires cockpit just give the model a extra value.

As i am a real fan of the earlier Harrier GR.Mk.3, the Harrier GR.Mk.7 is something i will get my hands on in the future, still i'm more and more interested also in a AV-8B+ version, time will tell. :hmmm:

Today, i will look and learn, so, i wish you all the best with this nice project Paul. :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Danny, First thank you for checking out my build. I liked the Mk3/AV8A's too, but we only have the Revell kit to work with in 1/32, no easy task.  The GR 7/9's are very cool versions, and some day maybe if I survive building this kit, I may do another, probably a GR9 test aircraft. The nose radome of the B+ Harrier to me just added an even more purposeful ripple of muscle in the Harriers already mean looking appearance. I hope I can show that this is indeed a very buildable model and we all learn together.

Glad to have you following along :) 

Paul