1/24 Airfix Mosquito WIP.

danimalmagic

Great looking detail Danny.

Are those MGs and cannon all as supplied in the kit?

Yes they are, not the greatest detail, its a commission build OOB, if it was my own project i would have used the brass aftermarket ones that are available.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Nice clean work indeed Danny! I somehow missed this thread entirely until today. Nice to see it's being built OOB so it's clearly evident what you get in the kit. When comparing Airfix's 1/24th offering to Tamiya's 1/32nd Mossie, Tamiya's detail OOB is truly astounding.

Nonetheless I have no doubt the recipient of this build will be proud to have your efforts on display. I know I would!

Cheers,

Wolf

Nice clean work indeed Danny! I somehow missed this thread entirely until today. Nice to see it's being built OOB so it's clearly evident what you get in the kit. When comparing Airfix's 1/24th offering to Tamiya's 1/32nd Mossie, Tamiya's detail OOB is truly astounding.

Nonetheless I have no doubt the recipient of this build will be proud to have your efforts on display. I know I would!

Cheers,

Wolf

Agree with Wolf!!....Harv

Great looking build and very clean!

Rocky

Thanks guys, it will get more weathered as I go.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, missed out week 6 as i was waiting on a final decision for the markings from the customer. I decided to really put in the hours this week to bring me back on track and balance out week six, this has been achieved so i am now back on schedule. happy.gif

Basically this week has all been about spraying, I have a set plan in mind to weather it a little using post shading only, I have kind off a abandoned pre-shading now. 
Because of where the model will end up and customer requirements I done want a heavily dirtied model, just a subtle weathered effect. 

The 1st thing to do was spray the underside of the model, I have used the Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey II RAF. 
102_5069.jpg
Once dried I applied a filter of the base coat (XF-83) to various areas of the underside to weather the paint a little. 
The effect is very subtle and difficult to see via the camera but if you look at the tail it is a bit clearer, certainly much better by eye. This is just the beginning, there is still the colour washes to add but I will come to that when I have all the decals on and I am finishing off. 
102_5075.jpg
102_5072.jpg
Next up I have masked the bottom of the aircraft so I could apply the camouflage to the top, I started with XF-81 Dark Green II RAF. I used to mask the camouflage areas with blue tack but I now do freehand with an airbrush. It takes a bit of practice as you have to get the paint thinned properly to avoid over spray but I think it gives a much more natural look. 
102_5078.jpg
With that done I could apply the other half of the camouflage, I have used XF-82 Ocean Grey II RAF applied freehand again with the airbrush, quite a monster to handle so a great deal of care required, my new man cave now feels somewhat smaller. happy.gif
102_5081.jpg
As with the underside I need to weather the camouflage a little otherwise it will look like a toy, which would not be very realistic. This is done the same way as the underside with a filter of the green and grey applied to surface to weather the aircraft. As before there is still more to do here but the final touches and oil washes can only be done when the decals are on, this will be very subtle. 
I would normally do these images on a neutral white background but the model is so large I can't actually get a suitable space to do it effectively. 
102_5086.jpg
Next up is another Phase of masking, 1st is the 18†wide stripe at the base of the tail I have used XF-21 Sky for this, 18†scaled down to 1/24 is ¾â€, I think the filtering shows a bit clearer in this image. 
102_5087.jpg
When you build a kit this size handling it becomes a real issue as it is quite delicate, the easiest way around this is to knock up a jig so the model is supported off the ground so to speak. 
102_5089.jpg

Cont'd

With the model safely on the jig I could mask and apply the invasion stripes, these are 24†wide so an easy one to scale down. This took a while to do and there are various raised surface details that allowed a bit of over-spray under the tape, I knew there would be a few areas but they were easily re masked. I seem to remember reading that at the time these stripes were far from being as neat and crisp as they are here, I think if I tried to replicate that it would look pretty grim so as ever artistic license required. happy.gif

102_5093.jpg
Next I have added some further filters to help bring out the panel lines, very subtle again, I won't be weathering the model so it is really dirty with oil streaks everywhere etc. 
102_5105.jpg
102_5106.jpg
This is where I am up to now, I have tried using various techniques with the camera to give a realistic as possible idea of what the model looks like, usual silver foil in front of the flash seems to be the best. 
102_5099.jpg
The goal for the coming week is to get the decals on and add some more final touches before assembling the remaining parts. I don't think I will get all that done this week but I should certainly be done at some point in week 9 which would be good as I like to bring a project in early if I can. happy.gif

Thanks for looking.

Danny.

Edited by danimalmagic

Very cool work, Danny!

Kev

Thanks Kev, very busy this week, just stopped for the day, it will not be done this week but should be completed in a week or so, next update should be a bit more revealing.

Danny