1/35 Leopard 2A4 Canadian Forces *complete*

FunkyZeit

Hey guys..

Whipped this up as a commission build for a friends boss who drove these tanks for the Canadian Forces in Germany. I'll likely never do another commission as it's no fun and tedious - and I did it for damn near nothing. The big pay off is when the boss got to see the model - It was all worth it then.

Kit was a 18 dollar Revell, no aftermarket used and custom made flag decals.

image1_zpsppp6uepy.jpg

Enjoy!

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Justin

Edited by FunkyZeit

Nice Justin!   Love it, and know all to well that some commission jobs I just dont take for all the reasons you have listed. The current commission job Im on is way easier, as Im not only promoting my hobby and scale, but a great kit of a subject I really love.

This is hard to do, as most times commission jobs are NOT something we are passionate about.    I have resigned myself to ONLY taking commission jobs of subjects and scales I like. 

Great work on this one regardless of the tedium and lack of subject interest! 

Nice Justin!   Love it, and know all to well that some commission jobs I just dont take for all the reasons you have listed. The current commission job Im on is way easier, as Im not only promoting my hobby and scale, but a great kit of a subject I really love.

This is hard to do, as most times commission jobs are NOT something we are passionate about.    I have resigned myself to ONLY taking commission jobs of subjects and scales I like. 

Great work on this one regardless of the tedium and lack of subject interest! 

I'm with you here Brian. I just have no interest in this tank what-so-ever, that doesn't go to say it didn't take me 40 hours to do. It kind of came onto me as a personal favor. My friend now is indebted lol =) I'd just prefer to build up kits for friends and family for fun and on subjects I enjoy.

Edited by FunkyZeit

I stopped doing commission builds for all the reasons you mentioned including customers wanting to negotiate payment after the build was finished!

Nonetheless your build looks beautiful. Occasionally it's nice to stretch outside the comfort zone and build something we normally wouldn't.

Cheers,

Wolf

Beautiful Job!

Funny you guys mention lack of interest in the subject material, I have always thought the first iteration of the Leopard II was one of the best looking tanks ever made.  The slab sided turret reminds of sort of a "modern" Tiger I.

To me the newer Leopard IIs with altered turret armor are less interesting.

I have never been asked to do a commission build and probably never will, but I would not do it regardless.  Given how long a quality build takes on most kits, there is no way anyone would pay enough money to make it worthwhile.

That is basically the same reason that selling completed models on Ebay or wherever never really makes sense.  The prices they bring are not enough to make it worthwhile, particularly consider the difficulty in shipping them intact.

Edited by Bryan

I stopped doing commission builds for all the reasons you mentioned including customers wanting to negotiate payment after the build was finished!

YIKES!   Have not ever had that happen to me in all my years of commission building.  That would ROYALLY piss me off, especially when I always negotiate a set price (as Im sure you and most others do) and agree upon it way before any building starts.

If that ever happened to me, Id likely tell them to jog-on, and keep the bloomin model for myself.      I think partly the reason that that hasn't happened, is Ive been VERY picky about my commission clients, and VERY picky about my commission subjects as well.

Sorry for the hijack Justin, back to your regularly scheduled Leopard!

Cheers,

Wolf

YIKES!   ....... That would ROYALLY piss me off,

Ah, I think you misunderstood Brian. The customers saw the epicness of Wolf's builds and wanted to pay him more! :lol:

:whistle:

:innocent: 

Regardless of your feelings for this build it looks ok onmy monitor Justin. Good job.

May I say not bad for a 18$ kit were there any difficulty's building the kit?

The A4 brings back a lot of memories I was a Gunner on the A4 in the Netherlands Army in the 90's

I will have a look if that one is available over here.

No build problems with this kit, goes together quite well =)