Revell Spitfire Mark 2A

andromeda673

has anyone who built this kit run into the same gap issue that I have at the wing root seam? I put some styrene in there just to see how it would look and fill, something tells me I'm going to be sending alot of time fixing this issue, or does anyone have an idea on how I can fix the wing root gap?

Similar problem on my build as well, my usual trick to avoid lots of sanding and damaging/loosing surrounding detail is to fill the gap with scrap plastic so it is just below the surface,let it dry, mask around the gap and then fill with Mr Surfacer......normally works well for me.

Regards. Andy

well hopefully tonight I will be able to get down to the bench and get some time in, I'm going to fill the gaps with sheet styrene and see what I can do with it. I'll take your advice of taping off the area and filling the gaps with putty, I'll have to stop and get some of the tamiya stuff, I only have the squadron brand right now, and I'm less then impressed by it. I have also been using the liquid gap filler from Tamiya, but that hasn't yielded the best results either. 

I don't know why I do this to myself, every Revell kit makes me doubt my involvement in this hobby! 

Good luck, my experience with Tamiya putty is that it can shrink pretty badly - if you are using it at any depth over 1mm I would leave to dry for well over a week (that may differ if you don't live in my climate/humidity etc). If it's just a smear on top of something you've already filled with styrene you should be fine.

Cheers

Jim

Good luck, my experience with Tamiya putty is that it can shrink pretty badly - if you are using it at any depth over 1mm I would leave to dry for well over a week (that may differ if you don't live in my climate/humidity etc). If it's just a smear on top of something you've already filled with styrene you should be fine.

Cheers

Jim

Thank you Jim, I wasn't sure yet how I'm going to tackle the gaps, I was going to fill them first with styrene then try the tamiya putty, or the squadron stuff I already have, thank you for the tip, and I will file that one away in the old memory bank. 

I'll post up some pictures of my progress tonight if I get anywhere and or make any progress, I plan on spending sometime tonight at the bench. 

Got an hour to myself at the bench/mid morning, made some progress and was able to get the step puttied and filled at the wing root, we will see how this turns out, if I told you guys I was nervous about this one, I would hope that you believe me. 

100_6210_zps0zdhj8tv.jpg

100_6211_zpszkhx1xxo.jpg

100_6216_zpsks5daapk.jpg

100_6212_zpsndmrite3.jpg

100_6217_zpsctnqcpwa.jpg

100_6218_zpszegp3x5a.jpg

Thanks for looking! and for the first time in my modeling life, I was able to get model master paint go down smooth and come out of the brush evenly and predicable. Slowly starting to see some light at the end of this tunnel on this build.  

made some more progress today, just been plugging away, bits and pieces when I can, I'm still battling this wing root fitment issues, but I think I have finally filled the seam correctly, and will now wait for the putty to dry and then sand it down. 

I also filled the gap where the cockpit and fuselage come together. I will go back and refill that once the glue cures, I should be able to get a nice tight smooth fill there as well, or at least I'm hoping! 

Thanks for looking. 

100_6225_zpsliqbtgpl.jpg

100_6228_zps6um7but4.jpg

100_6226_zpsepvnzijk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

after getting back from a long week on the road for work, and a longer week in the office, I finally was able to get an hour or so at the bench, I made some progress, and got all the pre-shading done, I also was able to get the brown and green down, I'm on the fence about the colors I used, I haven't decided if I'm going to roll with I already have down, or go back over it with something darker. 

Thanks for looking!!!!

100_6229_zpsyingbobs.jpg

100_6230_zpskrpc90fd.jpg

100_6232_zpss1quu0dj.jpg

100_6233_zpsamhozaww.jpg

100_6234_zpskyqb9rxz.jpg

100_6235_zpseaaunlhj.jpg

100_6236_zpslgxos9eu.jpg