WNW 1/32 LFG Roland C.II "Walfisch"

Whitey

Fuselage buttoned up with lower wings and tailplanes on.

Masked off the rib that runs longitudinally along the fuselage and used Mr Surfacer 500 to accentuate and smooth it.

Hopefully some paint on tomorrow. Masking the cockpit and engine off looks like a challenge.

LSP010.jpg

Most of the painting completed today.

Tamiya AS-26 Light Ghost Grey for the undersides and XF-62 Olive Drab for the topsides.

Streaked thin Olive Drab with the airbrush to try to simulate brush strokes and it seems to have worked.

LSP012.jpg

Some minor touch-ups to do and then a gloss coat and the decals.  Then the fun begins with the undercarriage, the flying wires and the weapons.

Top wings are not fixed in place yet.

LSP011.jpg

This is the stage where you 80% finished but it still takes 50% of the time to get to the finish line.

Edited by Whitey

Not sure what impresses me most Peter. The quality of work you are doing, or the speed you are doing it at. Maybe I'm just painfully slow but I'd barely have the parts cut from the trees at this point :lol: . In any event, way well done, it looks great so far.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back home after a couple of weekends, and a week away with work.

First application of decals. A little bit of "Mr Mark Softer" and they sit flush with the detail.

LSP015.jpg

Wings and undercarriage are not fixed yet, just sitting there.

LSP014.jpg

It's a pretty aircraft.

LSP013.jpg

Streaking and fading with thin Olive Drab over Light Ghost Grey.

LSP017.jpg

The photos don't show up my attempts to replicate seeing the ribs through the underside fabric.

LSP016.jpg

Still lots to do but she is starting to look like a Walfisch.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a couple of weeks since I was able to do a day's work on the bench and today has been one of those "30 second job" days that everything takes 5 minutes to set up, paint or glue, clean up and get ready to do the next fiddly bit.

Wings and struts are on but main undercart still dry fit until the rigging is done. It looks too fragile to put in place yet.

I tried adding some depth by using a cotton bud with Tamiya Smoke. I didn't like the look so I got a nice big brush with X-20A. Prior to the weathering attempt I had sealed the model with Testors Lacquer Clearcote so I knew that the X-20A wouldn't eat that and ruin the paint. It was make or break, with a full repaint a real possibility. I brushed heaps of X-20A all over the blue and the Smoke splotched and spread and blended in fairly nicely. Wherever a little pool of darkness was not wanted, more X-20A to blend it in again.

I've still got to try some splashes of mud and a bit more grime but I am reasonably happy so far.

Only two weekends left before the BSK judging though and I am in Melbourne next weekend.

LSP018.jpg

I've used the Gaspatch Parabellum 14 and ASI and they are fantastic. I used the WnW photoetch for the gun sight as it was sturdier and well detailed. Nothing wrong with WnW gun though.

LSP019.jpg

The side windows were a bit of a hassle. They fit really well, but there is hardly any attachment area and they won't sit in place while fixing them. I fixed them in place with Tamiya Clear which I knew would not be strong enough but would hold them while I thought what to do, and when they were set, very carefully just added some Tamiya Extra Thin glue around the outer edges and voila, there to stay. The window frames are silver, just for some contrast.

LSP020.jpg

The streaked paint comes up ok under strong light, but to the eye in normal light is not contrasty enough. I think my airbrush paint job is too good for 1916 brush standards.

LSP021.jpg

Here is some of the dirty detail.

LSP022.jpg

And last photo for the night to try to capture the streaks. Rigging, prop and final detailing to come.

LSP023.jpg

Edited by Whitey