Revell F-4G

kurth

its not too late.  simply cut open the holes for the doors and make new doors out of pieces of plastic card.  you can't really see into the space with a centerline rack or tank.  The doors are very simple and there are plenty of pics of them available online.

Bruce 

very nice to see the Revell Phantom builded once more.

take a look at my F-4 articles if you need any help. You will find them at the ARTICLES on the start page of the LSP

Well done so far

Hmm... I did not think of that. is it too late?

I wouldn't bother messing about opening up the two doors. Once it's finished and on display at your favourite show WHO'S GONNA PICK IT UP TO LOOK?. Your doing a great job my friend.

Dave

the open doors are quite noticable when sitting on the gear.  You can't see very well up into them even if you were to pick up the model but the fact that they are open will show.

Bruce

I used a good amount of putty to blend in the intakes

IMGP7594-vi.jpg

I did start sanding the other side ...

IMGP7593-vi.jpg

Looks better than I thought it would when I slathered on all that putty. 

The bottom looks similar

IMGP7595-vi.jpg

It is going to take some work, but I have seen much worse. The shape of the phantom just does not lend it self well  to plastic model tool making

Not too far away from paint! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still making progress on this build, Not a lot of visible progress so I will skip the pics for now, just a lot of sanding, and polishing down to 800 grit to get rid of the scratches.

I did mess up re-scribing the line which separates the  titanium from the painted area near the burner cans, so some CA is curing now, in my messed up  and I will scribe it more carefully as it is an important line. 

I will wait on the wing tips so it is easier to handle until I get the lines rescribed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not abandoned this model! it has just been a lot of sanding, and fixing panel lines.

I did get the wing tips on. I think the dihedral is a bit more than the real thing

IMGP7708-vi.jpg

not sure how to fix it, so I think I will just roll with it.  I also future dipped the canopy parts. I am going to fit the glass parts on the fuselage, and ensure they fit. I always screw up the glass on phantoms, and this time I am determined to make this one look good.   I need to finish massaging the ordnance, and paint the ordnance as well as the under carriage. my absolute least favorite task. 

those intakes are a absolute nightmare, I had to do alot of filling with plastic stock on mine, and overall I wish I would have pulled the trigger on seamless intakes, but it's too late now to do anything about it. 

With a little love and some rather simple modifications, you can really make this into a stunning F4, also my local hobby lobby has them in stock, which means when I'm ready to do another one, I'll scoop one up at 40% off. 

What markings are you going to be doing yours in? 

No real picture worthy progress, I am still cleaning up, and messing up panel lines. So when I mess up panel lines, I fill them in with thin CA , sand and rescribe.  I had some trouble around the very prominent transition area between the fuselage/titanium exhaust area so it is slow going until it looks right.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally made the time to get back on this one.

I have spent the last few weeks also working on a 1/72 A400M for a group build I am leading on another forum. 

With the Phantom I have been mostly rescribing panel lines, and finding little blemishes to fix. mostly gluey finger prints.

I got the airframe set, and it was on to two tasks I generally find unpleasant. Mostly because It is where I tend to mess up. 

First undesirable task ... masking the clear parts. I want to mount the clear parts so I can fix any fit issues and then get painting. Since there are no pre cut masks for this kit, I had to do it  manually. The Phantom is among my favorite aircraft ever. I love to build models of Phantoms, but the 4 piece canopies are so easy to mess up.

I had been using frosted cellophane tape, we call it Scotch tape in the US. I always seem to to have bad luck with it.  I decided to try a hybrid approach on this model.

For the windscreen, I used frisket film. I seem to remember trying it years ago and having bad luck. But I am more experienced now so I figured I would give it a try

IMGP7750-vi.jpg

And with patience, and a new blade, it was pretty easy.

Next up, that *@#$*@$@ part in the middle

IMGP7751-vi.jpg

and again, it was drama free. In 1/48th I always mess this part up

I decided to use strips of tamiya tape on the canopies, building up the edge, and using  a piece of frisket to fill in the center

IMGP7753-vi.jpg

and all the glass

IMGP7754-vi.jpg

I think this is why 1/32 scale has become so popular ... you can actually mask canopies without a microscope

in the next post, airframe tidying

Last week, I installed the master model Pitot set. I did not have quite the right size drill bits, so I had to use a bit of putty to smooth it out

IMGP7746-vi.jpg

And the nose

IMGP7748-vi.jpg

So after that putty was sanded and everything else looked good, The phantom got a shower, and is drying off

IMGP7755-vi.jpg

I mean who does not have a phantom in the drip rack?

I could procrastinate no longer and I was on to the next task I never enjoy ... ordnance

It is just too easy to mess up ... a finishing touch 

I previously assembled the Standard ARMS, and after a round of sanding, they came out fine. I also assembled the pylons

IMGP7757-vi.jpg

Next up, two sparrows

these were warped slightly, so clamps are needed

IMGP7758-vi.jpg

On to primer soon, getting closer on this one!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the glass glued in place

IMGP7768-vi.jpg

The center part, and the windscreen are epoxied in place. The movable parts are tacked on with testors clear part glue for painting. I think I will pose it with the canopies open

I was going to get ready to start painting, when I noticed the fuel tanks required seam clean up, so that is what I am working on now.