Meteor F.8 RAAF No 77 Sq: UPDATE: 2/29/16: ALMOST DONE

Guest Peterpools

So pleased that everything has turned out so well for you Peter, probably even exceeded your expectations. Rattle cans do have a place in our "armoury" especially when priming, but of course the a/b remains the main tool.

Max

Guest Peterpools

Max

Absolutely correct. I'm learning even at this stage of life there seems to be a time and place for everything. Gee, how's that for being philosophical?

Thanks for checking in

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 2/1/16: NEWSFLASH; THE METEOR IS PRIMED

Finally, what seemed like forever, I reached the priming stage of the build. There are a few parts I've elected to add later on but I felt the juices dwindling and I was running out of steam. My biggest concern was gluing the front canopy in-place being clear resin and for whatever the reason, mine just didn't fit. I sanded and sanded until I was close, then through caution to the wind and glued the canopy in place with Kristal Klear. Once dry, I had a gaps everywhere and it was Bondo time again. Two nights of sanding and fussing and I called it done. Masking wasn't too bad and finally I was ready to prime.

I had gained all the confidence I needed to go with Tamiya's Fine Gray Primer from the rattle can and needed two nice layers top and bottom and the Meteor was primed and left to dry. So far, I'm extremely happy at how the primer looks; I know it's not perfect and so far I just see two small spots that need some touching up. I'll wait a day or so to be sure. before committing to the AS12.

Next up: Tamiya AS12 Speed Aluminum.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled-3_zpsjeyhz7is.jpg

untitled-6_zpsd41q7vnv.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Peter, Thank you for the very kind comments on the meteor but when it comes to the AB work, I can still remember your flawless Sea Fury paint work.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 2/3/16: TAMIYA AS12 AIRSPEED SILVER: FINISHED

With the priming done and the few re-dos completed, I decided it was time to bite the bullet, fire the canons and advance the troops. My plan was the same as with the primer, as I had not yet installed the gear; do the undersides first, let dry and then the uppers. Breaking out a new rattle can of Tamiya AS12, shaken well (not stirred for us James Bond fans) I proceeded with two wet coats on the underside and let dry over night. This morning, I proceeded to do the same with the upper surfaces. Coverage looked good and I haven't seen any spots or misses yet. Sometimes the best way is to get close with the Nikon, check the images looking for mistakes. So far so good.

I can see quite a few places my scribing left a lot to be desired, as it's my weakest skill and my least enjoyed portion of any build. I've decided to leave it as is and not risk trying to scribe through the paint. The finish seems quite smooth and I'm tossing around the idea of decaling directly onto the AS12.

Any thoughts on the matter?

So far shooting directly from Tamiya rattle cans outside has been a pleasant experience with no problems to report.

Next up: Decaling

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled_zpsa31fcm0z.jpg

untitled-3_zpstggwl9fh.jpg

untitled-5_zpsi3es7atj.jpg

untitled-4_zps5j8avv54.jpg

untitled-6_zps7tf4xc3s.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

That looks like a very smooth and even coverage Peter, and I think your degree of satisfaction and confidence is the key about decalling.  If it was me, I'd say go ahead straight onto the AS12, others may have differing points of view of course! :)
Max