F9F-5 Panther VMF-311 Ted Williams UPDATE 4/21 Major Progress!

LSP_Paul

Dutik,

Those new panels aren't aftermarket, they are scratch built by me  from spare parts, plastic and Airscale instrument bezels, and the side console detail was OK, I just wanted to improve on it a bit for me and for Ernie.

Harold is going to cast copies for us. Thanks for checking in my friend,

All the best,

Paul 

Homegrown details replicated in resin for your and other peoples use - that's what I call aftermarket parts. And the kit parts differed from the image of the real thing. Your homemade AM is spot on. Good job!

I don't cry about fit and sanding of resin kits. That's the medium. But at least the details should be correct right ootb. Especially at higher price ranges. It's not the end of civilisation, but, well - I guess you got what I mean.

- dutik

Guest Clunkmeister

Dutik,

This was one of Fisher's first releases. Like many very accurate models, the basics are very, very accurately represented.

I look at it as a canvas to paint and improve upon, knowing that the dimensions are spot on.

As well, know that what we are doing may not even be visible once the model is assembled. Matter of fact, it will probably be completely INVISIBLE on my model, because Brubaker's likeness will be seated in the cockpit, hiding pretty much everything.

What is the use of details that cannot be seen without an X-ray machine? None for 98% of modelers, it will be wasted time or stuff left off purposely by the builder.

We have decided to do it because it's creative and fun.  Paul's doing the side consoles, I'm working on the blow in doors. This is a fun hobby, and hey, I almost even decided to hack the center section apart and build a center flap bay as well, but simple common sense prevailed, knowing that the chances of me messing up are huge.

I LOVE this kit. It's amazing, and for a resin kit, the fit is awesome, right up there with Silver Wings.

Ernie

Edited by Clunkmeister

Dutik,

This was one of Fisher's first releases. Like many very accurate models, the basics are very, very accurately represented.

I look at it as a canvas to paint and improve upon, knowing that the dimensions are spot on.

As well, know that what we are doing may not even be visible once the model is assembled. Matter of fact, it will probably be completely INVISIBLE on my model, because Brubaker's likeness will be seated in the cockpit, hiding pretty much everything.

What is the use of details that cannot be seen without an X-ray machine? None for 98% of modelers, it will be wasted time or stuff left off purposely by the builder.

We have decided to do it because it's creative and fun.  Paul's doing the side consoles, I'm working on the blow in doors. This is a fun hobby, and hey, I almost even decided to hack the center section apart and build a center flap bay as well, but simple common sense prevailed, knowing that the chances of me messing up are huge.

I LOVE this kit. It's amazing, and for a resin kit, the fit is awesome, right up there with Silver Wings.

You are doing what you enjoy...

I no longer actually build to finish models anymore. I always enjoyed the creative part of scratch building and correcting what I wanted to correct.

That led me into the resin biz.

OK,  So here is a picture to show more of the structural work that I feel should go into the gear bays.  Paul Fisher has done a fantastic job on this airplane, but just like any other kit, I always find little things to add or modify to satisfy my need for detail. Anyway, the little gray rectangular "box's" are metal shielding to protect the landing gear up-locks and their associated mechanisms from the landing gear legs and any debris that may get flung up into them. Before I get to much farther into making all of those tiny parts, I had to have the structure to put them in, now I do.  :) More detailing of this area lies ahead, but the basics are at least there to further detail. 

post-3619-0-46052300-1426902423_thumb.jpg

The tiny parts are going to be challenging, but I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for looking in on my project, 

Paul

Paul

Looks mighty good and it's all in the details

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. It does make me wonder why we do all this extra stuff its not like anybody but me is going to flip the plane over more then a few times once its done, but I like knowing its in there I guess.

All the best,

Paul  

So today's update!   I scratch built the landing gear uplock mechanisms, then combined the parts to create the look I was going for. These locks will be combined with the actuator struts that also fit down in the "pockets"  i made previously. Magnified 50 billion times they look a bit rough but installed and painted up they should look just fine. 

post-3619-0-84032100-1427328292_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-20412700-1427328336_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-37904100-1427328363_thumb.jpg

I also installed,detailed and and painted the side walls for the cockpit.

These to me look a bit more realistic then the original items and I am very happy with how they turned out. Thanks to Harold/ AMS Resin for casting them for Ernie and I! 

post-3619-0-69366900-1427328395_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-25719100-1427328425_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-01843000-1427328450_thumb.jpg

Once I get all the wheel well and cockpit details knocked out, I can get this thing moving on to completion! 

Thanks for checking  in on my build,

Paul 

So today's update!   I scratch built the landing gear uplock mechanisms, then combined the parts to create the look I was going for. These locks will be combined with the actuator struts that also fit down in the "pockets"  i made previously. Magnified 50 billion times they look a bit rough but installed and painted up they should look just fine. 

attachicon.gifDSC01823 (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01829 (640x461).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01831 (640x466).jpg

I also installed,detailed and and painted the side walls for the cockpit.

These to me look a bit more realistic then the original items and I am very happy with how they turned out. Thanks to Harold/ AMS Resin for casting them for Ernie and I! 

attachicon.gifDSC01825 (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01826 (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01827 (640x480).jpg

Once I get all the wheel well and cockpit details knocked out, I can get this thing moving on to completion! 

Thanks for checking  in on my build,

Paul 

Nice work, the details look really good.

Ern you can do like I do and just load paint up on a brush and fling it in the general direction of the model  :rofl:

Glad ya like the new parts. The future I used to simulate glass over the instruments is glinting in the flash when I took the pics but you get the idea.

Paul 

Lookin' KILLER DUDE!!, can I call you Dude?????

I'm seeing more and more evidence to build in-flight all the time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Love the scratchwork, my kinda detail, all you OWN!!

Consoles look real NICE  good work between you and Harold

My High School Mascot is a Panther,  but I'd have to paint it black.

My former father in law told me stories of mid-night requisitions of whole wings from one end of the carrier to the other during his Korea days

watch'in you

Jack

Edited by marauderdriver