Mr.Hobby woes

Hardcore

I "have no dog in this fight" and I am willing to accept the best-argumented explanation. 

However, the document linked by Thierry http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/10/07/63/16/rlm_8310.jpgis not as clear as it seems. First of all, it says that in November 1943, a "dark blue RLM 83" colour was tested as follows: 

- in conjunction with RLM 72  for seaplanes

- in conjunction with RLM 70 (strangely, described as "dark green" rather than "black green") for land planes.

Radu 

Just want to add a full translation of the sentence given in this German document. It reads:

"Evolution and trial of a camouflage for use in the Mediterranean:

(Evolution) finished and documented in S-Report dated November, 10th, 1943. Shade of colour 83 dark blue in connection with colour 72 black green for sea planes and colour 70 dark green for land based planes suggested for introduction."

I think it could be important to see that the introduction was suggested, not confirmed here. There might be single aircraft having been painted in dark blue, but maybe only for testing this colour? The Allies did thousands of pictures of German equipment, I would be surprised they all missed a squadron of sea blue German aircraft. To me, without any offence to any opinion posted here, it still has been a trial, but no introduction.

HTH

Hi guys

I can't understand the " sceptisism" about that the dark green we see on late war fighters etc is just a variation of RLM 81.

Just because we have heard this RLM83 as a Dark green in publications...that we know is not based on any facts.

The new info found in archives by Michael U and partly shown by Thierry are also met with sceptisism by many..."show us pictures" whats the proof?...but There are vitnesses about the Ju 88 and the floater in Norway etc.

But HERE is a thing that one should think about regarding the document and that is says it was trials and perhaps not introduced, BUT if so there is no chance that they should have changed RLM83 Dunkel Blau ( code and colour is a fact) and change it stating it then should be a Dark green colour...you get my point! :-)

Also Radu when you say why don't we see fighters with the blue...well you are a knowledgeble guy and know that when introduced the war situation had shifted and fighters where not operating that much over the mediterranian.

Why keep resisting...and pieces falls better in place with the latest information. ;-)

Regards/ Gunnar

Edited by Gunnar J

Hi Gunnar,

I am not "resisting"... All I know about RLM 83 I learned from others who wrote about it. And so far, the "green" side has a better argument. That is all. I need more evidence, particularly colour photos or reports

Incidentally, back in the early nineties when the Luft 46 thing was in bloom, someone mentioned an Allied report about a dark blue (similar to RAF Blue) that was used on the Ju 388 prop blades. So, it is possible... So, keep "digging", I am listening. ;-)

Radu

At any rate, IF the blue was tested in the field then yes some planes would have been spotted but it still would be rare enough that you couldn't just paint any kit blue and say its fine. You'd need to verify the craft you're building was part of the testing at least.

• 9 months later...

Here is an RAF Intelligence report on a downed Ju  88 documenting use of deep blue paint on the aircraft's upper surfaces.  This supports Herr Sieber's recollection of blue Ju 88s as noted above (Post 15). 

The wording of the document suggests some familiarity with blue Ju 88s involved in anti-shipping activities in the Mediterranean.

Again this is not submitted as proof that RLM 83 was blue, but it is consistent with Ullmann's premise.

Blue%252520Ju%25252088%252520Intel.jpg

Edited by RBrown