Phantom P-51D "Double Nuthin"

Out2gtcha

This time, its wrapping up some of the small details on the interior......................

First up was finishing off the modified gun bays, by adding the Tamiya .50cal ammo into the bays, and then a wash of Flory black to simulate shadows in between the rounds, and some dark dirt for the bays themselves:

DSC04203.jpg

I also finished opening up the ends of the barrels on the OOB Monogram .50cal barrels, as well as giving the whole of each modified .50cal a coat of gunmetal, followed by some dry brushing with MM steel. The marraige of the Tamiya .50cal bodies to the Monogram OOB barrels turned out quite well IMHO:

DSC04204.jpg

I also modified the OOB monogram IP by shaving off the OOB detail for the instruments themselves, and adding an Eduard PE IP I found in the spares drawer:

DSC04202.jpg

Now it was time to move onto the gear, since I needed them done to move on the next phase of construction, which was to get the gear retractions mechanism installed then the gear themselves, to test if they retract as they should.

Again, the gear was modified with the addition of some OOB Tamiya detail. The top of each landing gear had to retain the OOB attachment points, as they are critical to raising and lowering the gear at the correct angle, so once again, I made a marriage of Tamiya and Monogram as best I could.

I cut the bottom of each Tamiya gear off right after the oleo, then did the same to the Monogram gear only I cut it right before the oleo. I then drilled out each side, and inserted some brass rod, over which I slid a piece of stainless steel tubing that later will be polished out. This seemed to work out great.

I wanted to use the Tamiya wheels/tires here too, since I needed there to be NO flat spot on the tires, and the gear themselves had to be completely 100% unweighted, so I wanted the oleos extended to their fullest out position, as if the plane was taking off or landing.
The tubing slid over the brass rod worked out well, and the final combination of the Tamiya parts and Monogram parts resulted in the gear being just a mm or two longer, but after measuring what was needed and what could fit, this was not a real issue:

DSC04199.jpg

Here you can see the finished gear right after a quick polish of the oleos, and right before a trip to the paint booth for some primer, then some AS-12 bare metal paint:

DSC04200.jpg

More this week I hope!

Cheers all

Thanks Craig!  Very kind of you to say..........................to say a build like this where as you pointed out ifs a mix of old and new..............where I dont need to be concerned about ANYTHING related to accuracy, only being concerned aboot (went Canadian there for a sec) what you like is liberating, is quite an understatement!

I just have to keep my OCD/ADD and especially my AMS in check by constantly reminding myself this is a build to be taken to my OFFICE and will never be put in a show, nor my display cabinet. \

Cheers!

This is fantastic Brian, I don't know how I missed it until now.  I really like the details you are adding to it.  I have another one in the stash that I hope to do a better job on.  I am looking forward to seeing how the Tamiya extra-thin works on the clear parts, hopefully there won't be much fogging.

Thanks Peter. :D I totally agree. Do you remember the Monogram "Flapjack"?

FlapJackBoxArt.jpg

Between the Phantom and the Flapjack, Ive filled some awesome childhood memories!

I love the Flapjack, I keep hoping they will re-release it one of these days. Had a couple as a kid. Here's one I built about 10 years ago.

flapjack3.jpg

I will definitely be watching now that I have found this thread.

Thanks Mark! I build (like most of us at one point or another) this in the past, I think at or about the same time as the old Flapjack. What a blast! This one is a great build so far, and very enjoyable............cant wait to get to some exterior paint! Im thinking with the Tamiya extra thin being a chemically hot weld type glue, there should be no CA type chemical fogging, and hopefully minimal fogging from the glue itself softening the plastic.

I love the Flapjack, I keep hoping they will re-release it one of these days. Had a couple as a kid. Here's one I built about 10 years ago.

flapjack3.jpg

AWESOME!!!

That paint job and stand completely ROCK. LOVE IT.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Just love your progress on the 'MonoStang' Gun bays and ammo look just so good as does the gear. Just not sure how your new pilot will see where he is going, as he seems to be headless.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Brian

Just love your progress on the 'MonoStang' Gun bays and ammo look just so good as does the gear. Just not sure how your new pilot will see where he is going, as he seems to be headless.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:lol: Thanks Peter. The newer TD pilots (unlike the ones Jack is using on his OV-10D)all seem to come with cast metal heads instead of resin ones. Im not sure if it makes any difference at all, as the casting quality does not seem to be any different/better/worse than the resin ones. I got a lot of the components installed in the fuse, got the wheels/tires assembled, painted and washed.................just need to take some pics of it all!

soon....

Im really itchin to get some exterior paint on this guy............which in this case, consists of a bit of red, but mainly all black and yellow checkers.......I think Im gonna try to mask and paint it all myself

05.jpg

First up, got a splash of AS-12 paint on the MLG, tail gear, & rad housing, then a bit of a wash with Florys dark dirt:

DSC04208.jpg

I think the OOB Tamiya wheels turned out especially well, and will add a lot to the kit VS the OOB Monogram plastic ones:

DSC04209.jpg

You might also notice (if you have this kit or have ever built it in the past) that the OOB tail gear and tail wheel are all one blob OOB...........so I took and shaved everything off the tail gear that looked like tire, then smoothed and filled things in around a small brass rod to support the AM resin tail wheel I found in  the spares drawer:

DSC04213.jpg

DSC04214.jpg

DSC04215.jpg

Then I did some work on the airframe itself...................

I got the main spare glued in along with the bottom of the main fuel tank that houses most of the mechanisms to both drop the ordinance, and retract the gear. In the middle you will see two little clear dog bone looking parts that are the levers that drop the bombs:

DSC04206.jpg

Then finished up the top of the main fuel tank with some dry brushing and a wash as well. Prop hub also got some AS-12 and a wash of Florys dark dirk too:

DSC04212.jpg

Lastly, I got the engine glued to the engine mounts and then glued the engine/mounts, cockpit floor, and rear radio/fuel shelf installed in the starboard 1/2 of the fuselage in preparation to get the fuse closed up:

DSC04210.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

Still a looooooong way to go on this fun build.   Im not really letting myself get to bothered by anything I havnt changed from OOB as keeping the spirit of the original 60s build with some of my own flair, was my intent from the jump, and is still holding true.

I dont think I have ever approached a kit this way before and Its VERY liberating!

Cheers to all