AIRFIX 1/24 TYPHOON: UPDATE 1/29/15: It's ALIVE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Jay

Thanks you for the kind words. It's great to know you are 'playing around' with your Typhoon and looking forward to you starting a build thread.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolfe

Much appreciated and it seems such a shame that Airfix spent so much time and expense on the details and design, while the execution was left behind: molding and instructions. So far, I haven't found a single part that wasn't cursed by the mold seam monster. I'm well into the Napier Sabre engine assembly and even OOB, is quite impressive.

Peter

Very nice front office Peter :thumbsup:

I don't know all these Tyff's being built might have to boost mine up the build list!!! Contacted Airfix Wednesday morning about the canopy. The one in the kit has a divot not just a sag, new replacement dropped on the floor mat in the Thursday post the next day - Can't knock that service!! Still the ever so slightest distortion if you hold it to the light but a light year better than the one I got in the box!

Keep it going Peter and John - very inspiring work :popcorn:

Happy Days - Taff :D

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Taff ... much appreciated.

My original canopy only had a molding blemish but no cracks and the replacement one was about the same. I'm still plugging away, making slow progress but  moving forward

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Larsa

Just contact Airfix by email/customer service and in a few weeks a new canopy will arrive. I'm hearing the latest ones are nearly perfect.

let us know how you make out

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 1/16/15:THE NAPIER SABRE ENGINE

Just a few quick grab pics  of my progress to date -

With the front office done, it was time to start on the HUGE Napier Sabre 24 cylinder Bad Boy up front. Cleaning mold lines from every part has become second nature and at this point, it's just part of the game.

Following the construction sequence, constantly referring to the ADH Typhoon book and my reference photos the basic engine as assembled, primed and then painted with Tamiya semi gloss black. A few of the parts had both sink marks and injector pin marks that had to be cleaned up as they would be up front and center. While I'm no where near finished with the Napier Sabre,with a host of parts to be added  and a lot of tweaking , so hopefully the plumbing will actually mesh together, I thought I would just post a few photos of my progress. All the coolant pipes and plumbing was primed with Mr Surfacer 12000 and followed up with Alclad Aluminum or Stainless Steel.

I'm still haven't decided which of the major options to do: Option 2: top portion of the cowl is off or Option 3 with the cowl completely on and the engine buttoned up. After building three Tamiya P-51, the Spit, I'm leaning towards keeping the cowl closed and enjoying the look of the aircraft. Even on the Corsair, the engine was completely built, wired up but the cowl was buttoned up. Just a preference and I'm going the whole route of a complete engine assembly, is just encase, Option 2 wins out.

Thanks for checking in.

Next up; a finishing the Big Bad Napier Sabre.

Peter

PCW_0882_zpsb4dff15f.jpg

PCW_0883_zpsff82f205.jpg

PCW_0885_zps6bf2f674.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Wolfe

Somehow I could but the rod wouod be all engine for sure . I'm about halfway through the Napier Sabre now and from were I sit, reworking and tweaking the coolant pipes to actually connect with each other is going to be a ton of fun and games.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ron, greatly appreciate the kind words. I have my fingers crossed I can tweak and add the rest of the parts so everything actually fts and connects. Nothing like a Tamiya kit for sure.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

Very much appreciate the kind words. I've been in contact with John during the week and I sure John will explain as he and Jan had to deal with some very serious medical issues which are gratefully over with. John will be home tomorrow and back back to work on his Typhoon over the weekend.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools