AIRFIX 1/24 TYPHOON: UPDATE 1/29/15: It's ALIVE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Peter

I've been looking forward to the Typhoon since it first hit the shelves and when John and I decided on a Buddy Build, the wait become nearly unbearable.

We're under way and it's going to be a a boat load of fun.

Of course, we both have you IP upgrade set and will be using them as when we start working on the front office.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

It's a first for me  and it's BIG and I just can't imagine how many gallons of paint the Typhoon is going to use. Underway and making progree

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

I know it seems that way but being in the swimming pool business, this is the slow time of the year and I'm just taking advantage of the time at the bench.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE:  1/8/15: FINALLY UNDERWAY: THE FUSELAGE FRAME WORK

Initial Findings:

The discussion of the abundance of molding flash is 100% true and every inch, top and bottom of every part so far, had molding flash that needed removed. There are also a fair amount of injector pin marks that at first inspection need to be cleaned up, including those on the spars. After I was well into removing the injector pin marks, John and I discussed the problem and low and behold, I jump the gun. Most of what I removed/filled in wouldn't be seen as parts to be added latter on would completely cover the offending ejection pin marks. To be on the safe side, I finished cleaning up those on the fuselage framework, which in the end turned out to be a non-issue as well.

The kit instructions are very vague with respect to how individual parts are oriented and positioned. Additional help was found searching construction drawings much further along in the instruction book and without hesitation,  Airfix should have devoted considerably more effort in developing the instructions, emphasizing component placement and clarity. I found it necessary to study a number of construction builds including Matt's on going thread to answer construction questions. I also found it necessary to breakdown and purchase the ADH Airfix Typhoon Book as an additional aid.

Construction:

The plastic is very soft which is a huge plus when removing all the mold lines and nothing more then spending considerable time with fresh #11 X-acto blades and the finer grades of sanding / polishing sticks. Once the parts were cleaned up and washed in warm water to remove any traces of release agent, the individual frame parts were dry fitted through step 8, which would allow for priming and painting. From here on, all the interior parts, front office and engine area parts are added to the core section.

John and I discussed the interior colors at length and we both agreed, Airfix's color callouts are suspect and would need to be checked throughout the build. Our decision was to go with Alalcad Airframe Aluminum for the fuselage frame, firewall, seat armor/bulkhead, seat and spars. Alclad would be the best choice and to use gloss gray as a base, would hold back any chance of a deep metallic shine – just shoot for the basic aluminum look.

To insure all the parts would be square and true, the 'core' fuselage parts were were glued together using the bottom wing as a jig, which contained both locating holes and rails for alinment. Extra care needed to be taken, being careful not to accidentally glue the frame to the wing at this stage. When dry, the frame was removes from the jig, primed with Tamiya Fine Gray Primer, which served as the base color for the Alclad Airframe Aluminum.

I've worked my way though step 20 and some parts have been a challenge. The seatback treat with with oil paints, to look almost new but but starting to shine from wear. I should have take a few photos of it before the Sutton Harness was installed, as now most of the leather is now just background. I decided to use the RB Sutton Harness set which differs from the seatbelt and harness set in the kit and a bit different then the HGW set. I've used RB sets in most of my builds and the quality was there as always. Of course it required two plus hours for assembly; finished up with a light oil wash of burnt sienna and burnt umber and yes, I did feed the carpet monster.

Next up:

The front office and adding the Eduard Cockpit Detail Set

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_0852_zps1c5802fd.jpg

PCW_0853_zpsc3f8326b.jpg

PCW_0855_zpsf2e3ba26.jpg

PCW_0856_zpsed5ac56a.jpg

PCW_0857_zps10f653ca.jpg

Edited by Peterpools