SU25 Frogfoot A

karimb

Hi guys :D

As promised in my first post in ready for inspection, this will be my first ever WIP lol

Actually i am amazed we can have polls on this forum just found out on the right side cos what i had in mind first was to poll you guys on what you want me to build as a WIP but that will be for the one ill do once this ones done (there we go we haven't even started it yet loool)

Went to my stash today closed my eyes and poked at it and you can guess which model it spat out lol   :P had been avoiding this one too its been sitting in the to-do column for more than a year...

Anyways there's good and bad news... bad news is i don't have any reference or after market stuff for this one (hard to find am stuff in Lebanon so always get to order online and the wait is well in weeks rather than days) and the good news is hopefully we can get to build it together with your input regarding any aspect of this build that can be improved.

A foreseeable problem already is the cockpit color (okay i only have access to the tamiya range...got 95% of it so mix and match should be fine with the help of your suggestions) 

This build is going to be entirely OOB start to finish expect for some extra wiring and doodads but thats pretty much it. Its pretty much what i have access to at this moment so hopefully we'll make the best out of it and try to end up with a nice end result

I was going over which paint scheme to do still havent made up my mind you guys can tell me which would be nice and we can work it out from there...i quite like the white 12 because it has a sharkmouth and i never did sharmouths lol but i could do the special scheme frogfoot we'll see 

im going to post a couple of shots the boxtop, ceremonial opening of the jam packed box, work area and the camo for white 12 and i'll start work this evening so update this evening too.

Hopefully this will be daily updates since i've got a couple of weeks off and not much to do during the weekdays

Please feel free to join in and give me your input on any matter during the build from paint to techniques to anything you think will make this wip more interesting  :D

Again it is my first WIP so bear with me lol :clap2:  :bow:  :yahoo:

Well there goes  :thumbsup:

IMG_20141014_163446_zpsf10f970f.jpg

Boxtop

IMG_20141014_125259_zpsf7b058d7.jpg

Contents ( you havent even scratched the surface loool)

IMG_20141014_125243_zps87a30a47.jpg

Paperwork and decals

IMG_20141014_163422_zps658f2bba.jpg

The office  :P 

IMG_20141014_171508_zps2c4d9dd8.jpg

Paint scheme i am partial to doing but i could take a photo of all three available and you guys can pick !

Well anyways... off i go to unpack all the sprues and set myself up lol

Hey guys

First of all thanks to everyone for dropping in... theres a thunderstorm that just rolled in so i thought id call it a day on the su25...

K, since the last post a couple hours ago i unpacked everything (except all the weapon sprues lol still bagged) and start work on her...

First impressions the kit is quite big in size and big in quantity of plastic lol 

I did find up to now its a mixed bag of things like trumpeter usually is...took a photo of part of a wing because first time i noticed trumpeter had done this nice sort of textured surface on it...reminded me a bit of the texture of the academy 1/32 f16cj. I found that really nice so pic below (i hope it shows on it though  :hmmm: )

IMG_20141014_182819_zpsb65e420f.jpg

i think you can notice the difference in plastic texture between the actual wing and the wing slot thats shiny and smooth...

Clear parts are nice and well, clear photo below

IMG_20141014_184410_zps2ef703a9.jpg

The tires are vinyl/rubber type...some guys complain about getting a reaction between vinyl/rubber and the PS (i never did dunno) but to me they look fine....very slight seam running down the middle but its barely visible

IMG_20141014_184827_zpsc597a1b8.jpg

Otherwise the kit seems good...a bit stingy on the etch but its okay. All you get are the harnesses for the seat which is composed of 5 pieces but put together they look okay (i'll have to do with that lol since got no access to any am stuff :()...

Two quick photos one of the actual aircraft sprues in the top box and the 22 weapon sprues laid out on the dinner table

IMG_20141014_183430_zpsee434a2d.jpg

IMG_20141014_185013_zps6dcc7567.jpg

Scale_artisan you say it must be big yup you bet the fuselage (two halves packed individually) is exactly the size of my A3 cutting mat in length but the bad news is they managed to get warped somewhere in transit although its really no biggie. anyways photo below

IMG_20141014_183827_zps8f5c0102.jpg

One last thing before i start with the front office is i found some of the sprue gates to be quite thick (overly thick  :doh: ) again photo below

IMG_20141014_190335_zpsc7f60e4e.jpg

Okay now on to the build... it all starts in the front office. You start off with the seat which is not bad, the padding look quite nice. The fit on the part is good and you have a tiny little bit of flash here and there no real ejection pin marks until now at least not in the places that are going to be visible later on. The IP is a clear part with recessed gauge faces i suppose it might turn out okay with the decal on and some mr softener to snuggle it all down... at this scale i dont really think decals for the cockpit is something i would even consider but this is trumpy's offering on the su25 (no acetate film to sandwich behind the IP) but we'll find a way to make it look good i suppose...now what really got on my nerves is this (the photo below)

IMG_20141014_200511_zps3d3b8152.jpg

If you look close enough youll notice the decals are supposed to go on the side consoles and on the sidewalls of the cockpit. take #4 for example, the whole area inside the black outline is actual carrier film and youre supposed to have it put down...just wont do the job so its going to be painted anyways...nothing some good old brush painting cant acheive...but to me this is not something i would consider even doing on a 1/32nd scale....k ill stop the rant  :sorry:

This is the seat dry fitted with the seat cushion and the harnesses assembled

IMG_20141014_193309_zps8e08ffc4.jpgIMG_20141014_193003_zps82b8d2ac.jpg

Excuse my ham fists  :P

Moving on got the whole cockpit tub and seat dryfitted no issues here except for a really tight fit on the consoles and the sidewalls

IMG_20141014_195322_zps6391d1df.jpg

IMG_20141014_195339_zps9a883a5f.jpg

And construction wise i called it a day lol

Got the next full 5 days to work on this WIP and post here so we'll get good progress going 

Tomorrow we'll get the cockpit painted and weathered... now here i got two problems coming first is the blueish/greenish color which i need to figure out...used to have my own tamiya mix but i lost the reference somewhere so if anyone has a punter id be more than appreciative...And second, well im finding this cockpit a bit, put it this way, austere... im going to try to dig up some photos to see what i can scratchbuild in terms of wiring to try to busy the cockpit up a bit without using too much artistic license (none if its feasible)...

Tomorrow ill give you guys a headsup on the setup i use for painting if anyone is interested or willing to share different techniques....and please guys whatever you feel like pointing out to me please do because there might be alot of things you do in a way i can learn from...thanks again

see you all tomorrow for a new a.m post

Karim :D

Good morning gents  :rolleyes:

thanks to everyone for dropping in

Got some progress done until now its almost noon...

First of all got some additional wiring done...nothing major...some of it i made up just to get the cockpit busy. also got to finish building the nosewheel and the nose wheelbay where i added also some wiring ill post some photos below...

Before sleeping yesterday i trawled the net a bit for some reference which i managed to find...added some cabling from the HUD projector like one of the photos i saw and another one on the cokcpit tub floor the runs from the rudder pedals on the left side down to below the seat...i dont know if those are accurate regarding the su25a version but they'll get the cockpit a bit busy i suppose...

On another note lol a big breakthrough  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  i managed to mix and match tamiy paints to a satisfactory result to get the cockpit blue hue...been trying that for a while and today i got the ratio down good...still has a satin finish to it but i dont mind it. we'll see how it looks after weathering and if you guys dont like it well ill respray it with flat base added to it or if you guys want we can amend the color with you suggestion

The ratio is X14:3 XF71:1 if i recall the names are light blue and cockpit green (IJN) i dont know if the photos will do the colour justice but beleive me it looks electric lol :thumbsup:

Seat was painted nato black and the harnesses in buff...now all that might change after weathering.. the seat padding i might paint light gray the vertical part of it and leave the bottom black cos ive seen that in a couple of photos but still unsure...

So the plan today is to finish the detailing of the cockpit and weather it and if i manage to get the paint on for the nosewheel gearbay ill do that but im not sure ill manage timewise...so we'll focus on buttoning up the cockpit today mainly

Im just going to use the decal for the IP and the rest will be painted consoles and everything

Ah and regarding the setup i use for a/brushing i took a foto for you guys of the compressor i use (dont laugh its damn superb lol -_- ) and the airbrushes

Been using two SPARMAx airbrushes for the past year both are .3 nozzles one for acrylics and one for lacquers and they work wonders. for the detail work and some camo i use the tamiya HG super fine which has a .2 nozzle that can give you hair like lines when paint is thinned right.the other airbrushes in the stack are backups and for other uses. Back to the compressor i use, its a tamiya revo2 (after my old compressor almost blew and died i bought this one as a transitional phase until choosing a good one with a tank and never actually moved on...) its really really good. The two models i posted in RFI were painted with this compressor. gives you a steady 15psi and a continuous airflow although it doesnt have a tank (no pulsating airflow call it that way) and its really damn silent has a very very light hum...anyways enough rambling ill post the photos below and continue work

IMG_20141015_094131_zps422836bf.jpgIMG_20141015_094156_zpsfa3f8068.jpg

IMG_20141015_094809_zpsfa3d1615.jpg

The paint and how it turned out below...PLEASE tell me what you think maybe we can modify it or something depends but it looks good to me (photos dont really show it i guess)

IMG_20141015_112610_zpse1a39540.jpg

And a not so good quality one of all cockpit parts painted

IMG_20141015_113605_zps4965a170.jpg

And a photo of the compressor just so you guys see what it looks like its tiny too

IMG_20141015_105937_zps77e31061.jpg

Okay ill get back to it then

Ill post an update this afternoon on where we got with things in the cockpit and some new photos 

Till then  :piliot:

Hi gents...

evening update...Got the cockpit done painted and weathered and buttoned up. I used a brown enamel wash for the blue areas to show some grime and grey wash for the seat and black areas to bring out the details. Painting of the side consoles were a mirror of what the decals call for. tbh i went back to the references i have but the problem is 90% of what i found was for su25 variants other than the alpha so im not very sure how accurate it is... The seat padding received a brown filter to tie the black and grey together and depict its been used often. I also trodded along and finished building the nosewheel wheel well and the main wheel wells but didnt take a photo of those ill do that tomorrow. tried dry fitting the assemblies and closing up the two fuse halfs and seems we might need some sanding for the cockpit sides to give a good fit for the two fuselage halves...gonna be some filling sanding and rescribing there i suppose but nothing major from what ive seen until now. I painted the HUD projector alu then clear orange on top of that to give it good reflectivity.

Ill post the fotos of the cockpit assembly below along with the seat padding etc  :)

IMG_20141015_145111_zps1e920d3b.jpg  IMG_20141015_150744_zps1a321440.jpg

IMG_20141015_150822_zpsde6b47e3.jpg

The seat is completely OOB nothing added...i think painted and weathered its not that bad im not sure though how accurate it is because to my eye it looks pretty much like the seat of the mig29 i built from trumpy except for different harnesses but oh well :shrug:

Below the whole assembly

IMG_20141015_181536_zps0cf17aeb.jpg  IMG_20141015_181728_zpsac498280.jpg

IMG_20141015_181803_zps13234da7.jpg  IMG_20141015_181741_zpsc5fbdf2c.jpg

IMG_20141015_181603_zps4fefe212.jpg

and the IP close up which is actually only a decal but turned out okay i guess

IMG_20141015_123112_zpsac1c31b5.jpg

Ill continue some work tonight ill try to start on the engines and get them done for painting tomorrow along with the other subassemblies hopefully

So unless something worth noting pops up i guess itll be an a.m post tomorrow morning to update you ladies and gents

Till then stay safe and happy modeling 

Karim