1:32 Scale Chipmunk

freemodeller

Guest Peterpools

Robin

Awesome work and a aircraft that will be of interest to quite a few of us. My memories of the Chipmunk was enjoying the late Art Scholl perform his incredible aerobatic routine at numerous airshows in his Chipmunk.

A19870364000CP12_zps58384004.jpg

Photo National Air And Space Museum

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Robin

Thank for the very kind words on my Sea Fury build; it's getting there, slowly but surely. WOW, a Super Chipmunk, that would be fantastic. I would just post the question and the guys on the forum are as knowledgeable as there are.

Good luck and looking forward to following our progress

Keep 'em coming

Peter

As we know Chipmunk was produce in big number, used by many country and private owner, also they had many changer over the past 60 years,

Well, yes and no. One of the big problems is that once Chipmunks have passed into private hands then they get "fiddled" with and can quickly lose their originality, which can make things difficult for the modeller when looking at photos. Almost certainly any Portuguese Chipmunk appearing on the Airliners.net site has already passed into private hands. I was talking about cockpits and yellow handles here, although your comments are applicable to the rest of the airframe too.

Obviousaly it's your choice what you model, and you don't have to share my pendantacism about details. Nor be put off by it, I'm trying to help in my heavy-handed way!

If you're modelling an RAF/RN example, then their cockpits changed remarkably little throughout their sevice lives, have a look at one of the current BBMF machines and compare it with a 1950's Chipmunk just entering service. Apart from the compass changes, the addition of as "g"-meter on the forward coaming and the replacement of the rectangular Tiger Moth oil pressure gauge, they're haven't changed! The yellow handles are not applicable for a serving RAF/RN Chipmunk.

And if you're modelling a Portguese example, bear in mind they never sported the spin-recovery strakes in Porugues AF sevice.

Cheers,

Rod.

Hi Rod thank you for your information, however most of the picture post online show the Portguese Chipmunk had spin recovery strakes. Are they the original  Portguese aircraft ? or................. is more visible now after changing the compass colour to LG.

Some progress photo here...................

_IGP7985_zpsef4b7f30.jpg

I use gloss photo paper to print the instrument.

_IGP7983_zps9fc5b51b.jpg

I need to scratch built the smaller extinguish because the original is too big, sorry for that.

_IGP7988_zps41f072ac.jpg

_IGP8011_zpsf8adb9d5.jpg

_IGP8013_zps760e28af.jpg

_IGP8008_zpsf7309d93.jpg

That's all for today, thanks for looking.

Cheers

Robin

they never sported the spin-recovery strakes in Porugues AF sevice.

Can I (very slightly) modify this statement? Gipsy-Major powered Chipmunks in Portuguese AF service never had the strakes. Period.

I'm awfully wary of making never/ever statements, but having trawled through my references and every available web photo, every photo of a Portuguese Chipmunk in their Air Force markings is either (1) the Lycoming-powered version or (2) civil owned, i.e. post Portuguese AF service. I believe that the strakes are now mandadotory in the UK, which is where most of the photographed Portuguese Chipmunks now live and explains why they've had to be retrofitted. I would surmise that other EU countries have followed suit here.

I would appreciate (and gladly admit that I'm wrong - I've never stopped uncoverring new facts regarding the humble Chippie - the ventral vent is a case in point) seeing your photos of a Chipmunk in Força Aérea Portuguesa service (not a restoration) with strakes.

Cheers,  Rod.

From s0me of my references and a situation that we had here in Canada, the anti-spin strakes were a carry over from the Tiger Moth that actually had bomb racks installed under the wings.  Transport Canada "imported" an airworthiness inspector from the British CAA and he took it upon himself to ground all Canadian Tiger Moths until the strakes were installed.  No Canadian Tigers ever had strakes including my own.  And the original Canadian Chipmunk did not have them either nor were they subsequently installed on any Canadian Chipmunk.

Needless to say the grounding of CDN Moths was rescinded and the voices of reason prevailed

Barney http://www;barneysairforce.com

Edited by Old Dog Flying

These are the most recent photos I could locate of Gipsy-powered Chipmunks actually in FAP service, i.e. not in museums and not restored privately owned examples. Both are from 1989 when these aircraft were withdrwan from service and stored. In 1997 they re-appeared with Lycoming engines, and with strakes:

img261_zps2488a859.jpg

This is FAP 1339 (OGMA-29), withdrawn from service in March 1989.

img262_zps10c23e4a.jpg

FAP 1335 (OGMA-25), again withdrawn in March 1989.

Note the lack of strakes. Also, 1335 still sports the original narrow-chord rudder!

The FAP distanced itself from the entire spin recovery strake issue by simply removing fully developed spins from their training syllabus! Like the Canadians, Australian authorities also considered the effectiveness of the strakes marginal at best.

Edited by Rod Blievers

Gentlemen many thanks for the photo and information. Today I make some progress on the fuselage

_IGP8019_zps9f5d4bc2.jpg

This photo show  the windscreen support.

_IGP8029_zps9b1unnmz.jpg

_IGP8027_zpsymqpmna7.jpg

The windscreen should fit in nicely.

_IGP8038_zpsi2cxka3d.jpg

Here I glue down the top fuselage follow by mask off the  detail before apply polyester putty.

_IGP8042_zpsac27b2e4.jpg

Take note of the detail when sanding off the putty. Use 320 follow by 600 sand paper, coat super glue on top the putty and smooth off with 600 sand paper so that the putty will not come off.

_IGP8051_zps094499d7.jpg

Next photo show test fit the engine.

_IGP8072_zpsa48ec283.jpg

_IGP8069_zps4182eeb1.jpg

_IGP8082_zps9c459b03.jpg

That's all for today and thank you for looking, cheers.

Robin

Edited by freemodeller