Navy F4J - 4/24/16 Finished!

Bill_S

Vitali, before I started, I backed the entire fret with blue masking tape. A little wipe with acetone on the back side of each part to remove any adhesive residue...

I also found that a toolmakers sharpening stone works great for removing those pesky burrs. Very hard, stiff, and no teeth to grab with!

Bill

I'm itching to start painting!  My Aires cockpit had a couple of broken pieces :doh: the throttle, and a piece off the RIO instrument panel.

DSCN01531_zpsaa1168da.jpg

I'm building it up with putty... If anyone has the Aires pit and can post a pic, it would be appreciated!

I chucked a piece of sprue into the Dremel - it's the closest thing I have to a lathe. I used a #11 blade as a cutting tool. Not perfect, but it came close.

DSCN01511_zps5bc30b5f.jpg

I'm itching to start painting!  My Aires cockpit had a couple of broken pieces :doh: the throttle, and a piece off the RIO instrument panel.

DSCN01531_zpsaa1168da.jpg

Repair complete!

DSCN01601_zps28f41703.jpg

Getting ready to pick out some details on the pit. I just need to learn to apply paint between heartbeats. Pics to follow.

I'd keep the wires black or white Bill. They didn't use colored wires that much!! Not to be a pain, just a subjection! The correction came out very nice, can't even tell. Painting on the wires are very crisp nice work.

Paul

Twice now, I've applied paint to the PE parts for the instrument panels. Twice I've stripped them down - there's so much detail that I figured there has to be a better way. I don't expect the detail to be what Eduard achieves, but I'm bound and determined to come closer.

I removed all the punched disks that took so long to apply. I punched a bunch of new ones; I'm already assuming I'll have to make an offering to the God Of The Carpet. I'm hoping i get to keep at least half. Pre-painted them...

DSCN01651_zpsbbe1f2e5.jpg

I have five different methods I'm going to try for the panels themselves. It's a secret right now. We'll see how they turn out, then report back...

DSCN01641_zps01e7b638.jpg

I'll be watching you close Bill, I'm in the process of trying to get work done on mine. Good luck. All looks great so far.....Harv :popcorn:

Attempt #1. I had this crazy idea that I could apply paint on the raised surfaces similar to the way typesetters apply ink... Lacking proper equipment, the idea morphed into a modified rubber stamp.

I removed the paint from the raised areas.

DSCN01661_zpsb5acade2.jpg

Then applied a "thin" layer of paint on a smooth, flat surface; in this case, a polished marble block. I then attached the IP part to another flat block.

DSCN01671_zps6e9fb1fb.jpg

The results were less than spectacular...

DSCN01701_zpsa95d894a.jpg

You can see that in some spots, the gray background remains. Too much paint? Should one (or both) surfaces have some give? Too many process parameters. The boss just wants results!

Attempt #2. Dry brushing with black.

DSCN01761_zps66ae4670.jpg

Crisp detail, but not good enough... More to follow.

Guest Peterpools

Bill

Nice progress and with it go at it, you keep coming closer and closer to the results you're after.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

About the wiring and instrument pneumatic hoses to the rear IP. If it is possible to be in the aircrews normal view in flight it should be black. Red and Yellow are used for danger and caution warnings. You do not want something catching your eye while "bobbing and weaving". We "booted" (wrapped) with black self-binding tape more commonly known as F-4 tape all wiring above the canopy seal and around the IPs. ;)

Barry

Edited by Barry

About the wiring and instrument pneumatic hoses to the rear IP. If it is possible to be in the aircrews normal view in flight it should be black. Red and Yellow are used for danger and caution warnings. You do not want something catching your eye while "bobbing and weaving". We "booted" (wrapped) with black self-binding tape more commonly known as F-4 tape all wiring above the canopy seal and around the IPs. ;)

Barry

Duly noted, Barry. Those changes have already been made. Thanks!