Trumpeter Su27 - project resurrected...

Iain

Started this when it came out - and found more and more things that needed fixing.

I sorted the nose - and was making a new canopy pattern when along came Chris (Zactoman) with his corrections.

So - after a looooong time I'm going to pick this one up again - will rumble along slowly in parallel with some other stuff I'm doing.

IMG_0819.jpg

Here I've removed the kit intakes - trying to cause as little collateral damage as possible in preparation for fitting the Zacto units:

IMG_0820.jpg

Iain

Great Re- Start Iain!  For some reason I just picked up a long shelved Jet Project as well, mine's a couple generations behind  yours though.

All the best to you and your Build! 

Paul 

Markings - will be using the excellent Linden Hill 'Guardians of the North' decals (and stencils set) - probably Su-27 Red 07 (later Blue 38) of the 941st IAP.

This aircraft also carries the standard Flanker paint scheme but has the nose cone and tail dielectric panels painted white.

Aircraft received the traditional “walrus†and “Owl†emblems. Andrey Yeldashov added a bit of excitement to the paint scheme by adding a shark mouth and eye to the nose section.

This aircraft was selected for special paint since it was scrambled to intercept NATO reconnaissance planes patrolling Russia's Northern border.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Iian

Holy Cow ...Two Meteors and the SU-27. And I thought I was over laoded with just two at the same time.Looking forward to the re-startup and how you'll be working with Zactomodels upgrade parts. I just received Chris's F-124 intake set and the set is incredible.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Masked up airframe this evening and gave modified nose a few coats of high-build filler primer. May need a bit more methinks.

Just making a start on the Zacto intakes - will post some pix at the weekend.

Iain

Chris - if you're looking in - your resin intakes are amongst the best engineered castings I've used - superb!  :thumbsup:

First trim of all the casting 'blocks' on the main intakes and everything fits amazingly well - especially as I've gone the hard route and fitted - then removed - the kit intakes, so mating surfaces on the Trumpeter parts not the neatest.

I've been putting this stage off ever since I got the Zacto intake set 4 years ago, but it would appear I've been over-thinking/worrying about fitting them. I think it's all going to go together just fine!

Makes a huge difference to the look of the beast.

Iain

• 1 month later...

Sat at home with man flu - lots of things I *should* be doing - but currently hiding in the man cave with a hot lemon - fettling models...

Nose extension sanded back - getting there I think...

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

Assembly started on the Zacto intakes - parts cleaned up and upper trunking sections bonded to main sections with thin cyanoacrylate. Once this has cured I'll Milliput the internal seam and make good.

IMG_1723.jpg

Right - off to look at a MiG23  :)

Iain

• 5 months later...

And in more modelling mayhem - been working on the intakes ready for fitment.

Joints needed a little more reinforcement between inner and outer skins (more super glue) - and joints filled with white Milliput. Now spending time smoothing out - but should be ready to fit to model in next few days:

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

Have fun!

Iain

• 2 months later...

Today I have, so far, been working on this - and the MiG-23...

Further work on intake trunking - now ready for paint.

Satin black primer on the compressor blades (second go - first failed miserably - don't know what mould-release Zactoman uses - but it's a pig to get rid off - now sorted with cellulose thinners!).

Lower fuselage cut open to provide clearance for the Zacto trunking - scalpel has claimed it's (hopefully) last finger of the year.

Photos later - once I've stemmed the blood!  :)

Iain