Revell Heinkel He 162

dennismcc

I decided in the end to stick with what I have, however I really cannot understand how I came to be painting the engine pod in the first place, I normally paint the undersides first, it must have been a "senior moment", so on with the show and masking tape at the ready I masked off the RLM 81 areas, the cockpit and the wheel wells. I also "cheated" and used Montex masks for the clear parts and they are great !

l5FL13.jpg

D4nhua.jpg

b5Sb9E.jpg

fzncTN.jpg

With the underside airbrushed with RLM76 (Xtracolor) it was time to mask off the undersides/lower half of the fuselage and paint the upper RLM 82 (Xtracolor X212) using paper masks and White Tac to get a soft demarcation line.

xbUpRr.jpg

tCYZCg.jpg

I have got my building programme wrong this time as I usually have two models on the go so that when I am held up on one kit I can continue work on the other one unfortunately both kits have ended up at the paint stage at the same time so I seem to be waiting for paint to "cure" all the time, at the moment I am waiting for the paint to fully dry on my MDC Hawker Typhoon so that I can mask off for some markings.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced blurred Photobucket photos

Well the RLM82 went on really well though I forgot to take some photos of it, next was a tricky one, the downward sloping wing tips had a "paper doilie" effect pattern on it that I did not want to leave out so a bit of ingenuity (or bodging) was called for, the first attempt was to photo copy the profile of "my" aircraft and make a mask with a new #11 blade.

QnYPO9.jpg

This one went into the "too hard" box, the next idea and I saw it on a build on here was to use some Blu Tac to mask off the pattern, so the wingtip was masked off and airbrushed with RLM76.

gn9JxW.jpg

1oSUV7.jpg

And the Blu Tac was added with a toothpick

Not convinced though, the splodges are too irregular so I will have to try and make it more convincing with a brush.

GerWTx.jpg

As I was removing the masking tape I managed to rip off the wing (!), this was glued back on but I ended up with a few spots of CA on the fuselage which meant that I had to sand them down and will need to re paint the RLM 82.

S80Oa4.jpg

This is were I am now

aeEJVW.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

• 3 weeks later...

For a simple build of a very nice kit I'm making a real dogs dinner of this one, but there is some progress, I've repaired the paint paintwork after the wing pulling off incident, and I have redone the paintwork on the "winglets".

GAczjM.jpg

So time for some markings, I like to paint them on using mask,s so when I bought the kit I also bought a set of Montex masks, even though I have changed the identity of "my" subject I thought I would use the national markings from the masks set, so I carefully positioned the upper wing masks. However they did not look right, a quick check on my references (and other people's builds) showed that the crosses on the masks were all oversized, here they are loosely put back in place with the kit decals for comparison. Maybe the subjects in the Montex set had larger crosses.

3mQX4i.jpg

NNZ3cy.jpg

OIiB5H.jpg

So I think that tomorrow morning I will start on the decal route using the Kit decals and the Kagero ones

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

I'm determined to get this one finished, so out with the decals, in my decal file I found a 1/48 Aero Master decals sheet of swastika's and it had the right size, design, and colour for "my" aircraft, the national insignia and stencils would be from the kit decals and the individual aircraft identification from the Kagero Topcolours decals.

The kit decals did not settle very well despite my nice shiny paintwork (which was also polished with a nail buffer) and they required some heavy duty Micro Sol and Set treatment. The Aero Master and Kagero decals went on a treat and were a pleasure to use, highly recommended.

The gun troughs were painted black with Humbrol 85, not a perfect job but I did not want to chase my tail neatening up with RLM76 then black then RPLM 76, so I left it as it was.

The Aero Master sheet

Sif1gv.jpg

And the decals all done

9qnt7E.jpg

ysRTaV.jpg

08ofIP.jpg

GnqLn5.jpg

HeinkelHe16270_zps7314df40.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Well I'm still plodding away on this one, it's amazing what a matt coating does for a model, I also gave it some very light weathering as these aircraft were fairly new and as they were the latest wonder weapons I presume they would have been looked after well by their ground crews, rather than the sad pictures of derelict airframes that we are used to seeing. However I still managed to overdo it and had to backtrack a tad which has left some interesting over spray in some areas. Which I have decided to leave well alone as it would mean masking over decals !

My camera also seems to favour green, all my photos show the paint as a vibrant green which it is not, so holding the model in front of the screen I have adjusted the colour to show a more realistic colour.

Just a few bits and pieces to do now.

iR0vDE.jpg

lUElFd.jpg

B9wpCY.jpg

pNUdCn.jpg

W2lWQa.jpg

Edited by dennismcc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it's certainly took a while to shake off the holiday effect but at last I have finished my first kit for 2014, for some reason this one was not easy to photograph, I had to have three attempts to get some photos that I was happy with, my camera seems to intensify green, but here are the best of them.

HqEkdA.jpg

WQk3tU.jpg

Nxnqmt.jpg

Dzhjbk.jpg

GF8RxL.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Looks great Den! Really makes me want to build one some day.

Kev

Agreed!

It turned out really terrific. 

Surprisingly, I have the "V-Tail" conversion for this from Fusion, but do not actually have the kit itself in my stash. Im waiting for a forward swept wing conversion from a friend. ;)

Great job on this one!