Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock "Yellow 17" - JG 3 - FIN!!

Out2gtcha

Amazing vegetation!! :thumbsup:

Iain

Thanks Iain!

I have the Quickboost exhausts as well, to use (eventually), on my Fw 190F-8, and they're just gorgeous. Nice job so far, Brian.

Thanks K2.  :)  Agreed on the QB exhausts! They are lovely, but were a total PITA to mask off, and I ended doing a rare move for me, and thats masking them before putting them on, in a way to be easily removed after the painting process.  Well see how that works out.

That really does look amazing Brian!

I think it was Pete who said that.

Kev

haha, thought it was in Timmy!s Jag thread, but just remembered it was in Petes B-17 thread!   :lol:

Base looks quite excellent.

Thanks K2!  Been awhile since I did this kind of thing. Back to Shep Paine dio basics..............

The base is looking really great Brian!  The Plane is as well.. should look awesome when they come together  :)

All the best,

Paul 

Thanks Paul!  Hopefully the plane comes out as well as your stang..............wont be as shiny or kept as nice but hopefully will turn out as interesting looking.

Great work on the vegetation. What did you use for the grass tufts?

Thanks KOTR!  As to the grass tufts, this is fairly (from what I can see) standard rail roader diorama stuff. This particular stuff I got was stuff I found at the LHS from "Woodland Scenics" I used Harvest Gold, Medium Green, Light Green and Dark Green. These were then taken and rolled into little bundles, then cut to the size needed for that particular application -

fieldgrass_lgreen_nstraw.jpg

Brilliant work on that ground  !

Thanks Loic! Thats saying something as all your builds are SUPER fantastic!

I like it when a plan comes together.

J

Oh yeah! Agreed 100%. Im NOT great at replicating subtlety. SO, I had to constantly throughout the whole process keep repeating to myself what you had mentioned before about adding the weeds/grass in between a plank or two...................

Less is more.............................Less is more.............................Less is more.............................Less is more.............................Less is more.............................Less is more.............................Less is more.............................Less is more.............................

Brian

The base looks as good as anything I've seen in all my years of model railroading; the the whole scene blends perfectly. Aces of the dio base! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter! Now THATS saying something since it was the model rail roader guys who started this kind of thing!

Unreal base Brian! Looking forward to more!

Thanks Justin!  Your 104 is looking fabulous so far

Thanks KOTR!  As to the grass tufts, this is fairly (from what I can see) standard rail roader diorama stuff. This particular stuff I got was stuff I found at the LHS from "Woodland Scenics" I used Harvest Gold, Medium Green, Light Green and Dark Green. These were then taken and rolled into little bundles, then cut to the size needed for that particular application -

fieldgrass_lgreen_nstraw.jpg

Thanks Brian, that is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for to finish the base of my '190 (also on a wooden plank base, but scratchbuilt), but I haven't found these longer strands of fibres, just the short shredded static grass in a bag, which is impossible to make into tufts, or prefabricated tufts, that are a little sparse and a little broad. Gotta look around a bit more, it seems :)

Looks like the real deal. I love it when someone really takes the time to make a nice base. It shows.

Thanks Roy!  Very nice of you to say. This is the first base Ive made in probably over 20 years. I used to make this kind of thing all the time (without such great results I might add though) when I was a kid, so it does bring a lot of memories back of that 1st edition Shep Paine "How to make Dioramas" book.

Im slowly but surly moving back onto the Wurger. Ive got the windscreen in place now, and have begun the final sanding push, so I can do the final re-scribe, and then prime her.

I did forget that I still have to drill out the holes to insert the inner wing guns and mid wing canon, as well as the Eagle Parts 108 fairings.  All to come soon!  Thanks again all for looking in on me.

Cheers,

Stunning project so far :goodjob:

If you want to give the planking a "rainy days" look I'd recommend Mig "Rain streaks" to simulate dried rain drops and water marks. Shake well, apply as dots or streaks in subtle doses only. Repeat after drying if required. Used it for the vertical brownish streaks at my E-377 trolley u/c as well as for "dry raindrops" on the horizontal surfaces. Of course there are also "wet effects" available if you want to turn the hardstand into a "short after the rain" look. BTW, if the meadow starts to look to swampy simple brush some earth tone pigments at the top of the mud to achieve a "just drying" effect.

Looking forward to see what difference the G-factor legs will make. The side-by-side images show little difference to the kit part. Somewhat more subtle details, indeed. But maybe the scissors make the difference of the overall look, given that the kit scissors maybe more "clumsy". Future will tell.

Oh, yes, I have a F-8 with lots of goodies at the stash. Maybe to be build this year? Who knows :hmmm:

Keep rolling!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Stunning project so far :goodjob:

If you want to give the planking a "rainy days" look I'd recommend Mig "Rain streaks" to simulate dried rain drops and water marks. Shake well, apply as dots or streaks in subtle doses only. Repeat after drying if required. Used it for the vertical brownish streaks at my E-377 trolley u/c as well as for "dry raindrops" on the horizontal surfaces. Of course there are also "wet effects" available if you want to turn the hardstand into a "short after the rain" look. BTW, if the meadow starts to look to swampy simple brush some earth tone pigments at the top of the mud to achieve a "just drying" effect.

Looking forward to see what difference the G-factor legs will make. The side-by-side images show little difference to the kit part. Somewhat more subtle details, indeed. But maybe the scissors make the difference of the overall look, given that the kit scissors maybe more "clumsy". Future will tell.

Oh, yes, I have a F-8 with lots of goodies at the stash. Maybe to be build this year? Who knows :hmmm:

Keep rolling!

- dutik

Thanks Dutik!  

As to the base, its done and pretty much exactly where I want it to be. To be honest, from the pics I have of "damp" plank hardstands like this, the rain did not really make any "streaks" or any droplet marks like rain would on a non porous surface like metal or aluminum, as the planks absorbed the water and turned a bit darker or damp looking.

I used wet effects (to a point) using the two part clear resin that was specifically designed for creating water effects.....................I had trouble keeping some of the mud in place and not covering ALL of it with weeds and bushes, since all of that was going so well...............had to leave some muddy areas to get the effect of it having rained, but not having JUST rained, so there are puddles, but not really any overall wetness. I got the grassy/meadow areas just the way I like it, with a good balance of the wet, and mud/grasses. The water effects turned out to be VERY controllable and gave me the control I was looking for to stay away from getting the whole thing swampy.

As to the G-Factor legs, you are right, I dont see too much of a difference between them and the OOB legs................maybe a little bit crisper in detail.

My reason (and I would think most anyone buying them would have the same or similar reasons) that I got them really didn't have anything to do with them being better or different from the OOB parts, but more to the fact that with the length of the 190s legs I could really use the added strength of the brass gear, to keep things from leaning or collapsing, as well as the fact that with the nice GF white brass, I can also polish the oleos and dont have to bother painting or foiling then polishing the foil.

Cant wait to see more of your E-377 Mistie!  Looking forward to more progress on that one!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Well folks I have been working on the Wurger, but no real progress pics to show. I have the cowl gun shrouds on, and faired in with some Mr. Surfacer curing, and  I have also gotten a good start on the re-scribing of any panel lines blown away.

I also have installed the Eagle Parts Mk 108 canon fairings on the outer wing panels and am in that boring stage of sanding and smoothing. Right now my main priority is mounting the inner MGs, and getting their exit hole faired in, as I forgot to install them before installing the wheel wells.

More pics soon when I am out of the boring picture stage, and on to priming and painting!