Trumpeter 1/32 F-14B

RJS

Nice! I would be interested to hear a bit more about the base too!

I used Masa Narita's excellent reference.. Unsure If I'm allowed to link to other sites. If not I'll remove it.

The base is MDF, I just cut it and routed to a size that would fit in my display case.

Edges were primed then painted. I went a bit crazy here as I didn't care about overspray onto the actual base. Bad move.. When I applied the Tamiya putty it ate the paint, and all ended up with was a black mess.

Used flightpaths Carrier Deck diorama set for the tie-down points, spaced them out by drawing loads of triangles at 90mm. A 60/30 architects triangle was invaluable for this.

The "Non-slip" texture, I used some interior putty from the hardware.. Non toxic, really easy to work with. I made the texture using a spare Razor saw blade I had laying around.

I found that really spreading the putty on thick helped with the texture.

Base was then sprayed XF-24.

Masked off for the lines. I used the template that came in the Flightpath diorama kit for the alternating yellow and red line..

Washed with Oils of various dilutions. Was pretty pleased with the outcome.

Still to come for the Diorama is a deck tractor of some description. Just need to find the right one. Also want a couple of maintenance figures.

If you have any more questions, more than happy to share.

Cheers

Edited by RJS

Stunning build mate. It looks fantastic that's for sure.

I have the same kit in my stash.

How do you rate the wolf pack cockpit - was it worth it?

Great job, one to be very proud of.

Hi Joe,

Firstly, this is only my 2nd "big" cockpit replacement, my first being the 1/32 Aires pit for the Tamiya F-15C. so I'm not sure I'm qualified :)

The WP cockpit, in a word was a pain... the tub being split in 2 really adds to the complexity.

Add to this my pieces were warped, and It became a struggle. You know the drill...Dremel...sand....test fit...repeat.

Great detail, just be careful on the fit of the rear deck behind the RIO. Mine was warped, and I didn't pick it up till I'd sealed her up, even though I'd done countless test fittings.

Also, be careful on positioning. I used the Trumpeter pit as a guide, and I think I'm off. Don't ask me how, but the pilots tub is positioned too far to the aft of the aircraft.

When I was measuring, the pit fitted exactly in the same "lugs" as the Trumpeter pit.

Honestly it's made me rethink buying any WP resin in future, and why I scratch built the fuel probe internals, even though they had a kit.

I like the extra details, and it really makes the cockpit shine. Was just a lot of work is all, and it should have been easier to fit.

Being a former U.S. Navy brat growing up on or very near U.S. Naval Air Stations, the Tomcat was my favorite a/c during those formidable years.

Your Tomcat is an awesome representation of the real deal! Very well done :thumbsup: .

Thanks.. I appreciate the great feedback. I think like every kid who grew up in the "Top Gun" era, the Tomcat holds a special place.

I love the Tomcat, and I'm sad I've never seen it fly in person, and will never get the chance.

Excellent! I look for small, neat, crisp (not necessarily clean) detail, and that has, all of those element. Ive done a few big flame throwers and I know exactly how much work goes into them.

Any more pit pics?

Congrats, you should be proud, as its an excellent looking model.

Thanks.. I appreciate the great feedback. I think like every kid who grew up in the "Top Gun" era, the Tomcat holds a special place.

I love the Tomcat, and I'm sad I've never seen it fly in person, and will never get the chance.

LOL! Actually; I grew up during the 'Duke' Cunningham Top Gun days: '60's and '70's.

When I when 10 years old in 1975, Tomcats were falling out of the skies like bricks. I used to live near N.A.S. Mira Mar where Top Gun was born and formally stationed (Now at N.A.S. Fallon). From 1975 to 1980 it seemed like at least one Tomcat a year crashed.

A little trivia: The movie Top Gun's lead instructor (Viper) was based on 'Duke' Cunningham. Duke was part of the first Top Gun graduates in1969. He became the first ace of the Viet Nam war in just two missions in 1972. In the Top Gun movie where the maneuver Maverick does at the beginning and end of the movie, apply speed-brake and cut throttle in order to have the bogey overshoot him, was the maneuver Duke did when he shot down a supposed North Vietnamese ace.

He's also a former Tomcat pilot.

His call sign when he became an ace is my username and my avatar is the squadron he flew in at that time as well.

Duke Cunningham is second from left:

Warner_cunningham_driscoll_zumwalt.jpg

Fantastic looking Tomcat! Ooww yess !! Great build, great paintjob, very realistic weathering, Yep, top work!

I have had this Trumpeter kit so many times in my hands in the LHS, but never went to the counter with it. I'd love to do it, but it looks so complex... Maybe one day...

Anyway, welcome here! Hope to so more of your work. And hey, where are the photos of that Eagle you built?

Nic

Fantastic looking Tomcat! Ooww yess !! Great build, great paintjob, very realistic weathering, Yep, top work!

I have had this Trumpeter kit so many times in my hands in the LHS, but never went to the counter with it. I'd love to do it, but it looks so complex... Maybe one day...

Anyway, welcome here! Hope to so more of your work. And hey, where are the photos of that Eagle you built?

Nic

Hi Nic,

I'll see of I can dig up some photos of the F-15. Watch this space.

You should get the kit, the build was pretty straight forward. I was annoyed with the total lack of detail in the nose landing gear, and fuel probe but that was pretty easy to remedy.

Usual Trumpeter, you have these fully detailed engines, then they are sealed up so you can't see them..

Tricky bits for me were the intake ramps, I had to reverse the left and right ramp to get a better look. There are plenty of articles on this problem and I think that there are aftermarket intakes available now.

I also had issues when mating the cockpit to the fuselage assembly, I was left with a fairly large step. Had to sand and re-scribe the detail.

The other thing...The Decals. I'd definitely go aftermarket if I was to do this again. Thick, took loads of Mr Softner to get them to adhere to any detail and cracked easily. Also, they were just wrong! One of the "Warning Jet Intake" decals is mirrored, so it's back the front and in reverse. Only discovered this when I was 3/4 of the way through decalling. :(