HK B-17G

TimW

Well, not wanting to feel left out, here's my contribution. Pretty much OOB, although I've added bits and pieces from the spares box to jazz up the area under the flight deck. Also added a few things to the flight deck based on photos, like metal foil bands for the oxy tanks, a fire extinguisher (oddly enough this comes in the kit with no instructions about what to do with it) and some kludged up instrument panels/dials with Mike Grant Decals.

The main instrument panel is from the KitsWorld set, plus some stuff I painted on (the white and red lines). Seat cushions are putty; seatbelts extra Eduard PE I had lying around.

I have really decided on which a/c to do, but like many am leaning toward D-Day Doll. Although £5 and Breakfast and Baby are also tempting. PS - the green is actually duller than it looks--the flash makes it look brighter.

WP_20130830_010_zpsc6253d52.jpg

WP_20130830_009_zps36f8d7d6.jpg

WP_20130830_008_zpsef35da18.jpg

WP_20130830_006_zps7ad54a11.jpg

WP_20130830_003_zps44a0ca4c.jpg

Tim W

Guest Peterpools

Tim W

Nice start on the Fortress's front office. Looking forward to following your progress.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Nigelr32

She looks great Tim!!

As you may have read, I have ordered every set of Eduard there is for this kit, and I can say three things from what I've seen so far.. It adds a lot of detail to all the interior areas, some of it is wrong and most of it won't be seen anyway!!

I think you've probably gone the right way about this, OOB with a few bits from the spares box??

Please post as many in progress pics as you can.

Guest Peterpools

NIge

Totally agree. Never understood the reason for buying AM for sets for areas that will never be seen, unless it's for personal satisfaction. With the cost of kits today, I try only to purchase the AM sets that will be easily seen and don't cost a small fortune.

Just my 1.5 cents

:rolleyes:

She looks great Tim!!

As you may have read, I have ordered every set of Eduard there is for this kit, and I can say three things from what I've seen so far.. It adds a lot of detail to all the interior areas, some of it is wrong and most of it won't be seen anyway!!

I think you've probably gone the right way about this, OOB with a few bits from the spares box??

Please post as many in progress pics as you can.

You sort of captured my reasoning there---I went all out on the B-25 and really enjoyed it (and it cost me). I just didn't feel like going nutso on this one.

I got the Eduard engine and landing gear detail sets, as those are pretty visible. Anything else? Well, the kit isn't bad as is and the other stuff I wanted to add was doable with the mountain of odds and ends I have stashed in various places.

More to come, to be sure, as I start on the bomb bay and radio room (which really needs some spiffing up).

Regards,

Tim W.

• 4 weeks later...

Hah...at long last, photographs of the latest progress.  Though I swore to keep PE to a minimum, I couldn't help myself...I broke down and obtained the nose, bomb bay, radio room and waist area detail sets to go with the engine/landing gear sets.   I decided not to get the cockpit one as I'm finished with that section and don't feel like tearing it up.   Still on the fence about the exterior details set, but there's time for that.

This kit goes together quite well if you are patient and make sure paint is scraped off the connection points.  The LSP thread on accuracy has some good stuff about the positioning of the bombs that is a must, IMO.  Otherwise they won't fit right/will look weird.  It was worth the hassle.  I used some, but not all of the bomb bay PE.  I really didn't feel like completely rebuilding the bomb bay as the Eduard set calls for.  Hey, it's supposed to be fun...

WP_20130926_003_zps58efa5b9.jpg

WP_20130926_002_zpsa44b19d2.jpg

WP_20130926_005_zps2574e9f2.jpg

One bomb looks a bit crooked--noticed that after taking the pic; it came loose so that'll have to be remedied before flight!

WP_20130926_008_zpsd999ce63.jpg

WP_20130926_007_zpsbb7d85fe.jpg

WP_20130926_006_zps8e34b6c6.jpg

Edited by TimW

Very nice progress, dude!

What aircraft/scheme are you going to do?

Several in our modelling club are building this.  The versions chosen are £5 With Breakfast, D-Day Doll and Baby.  I'm doing the 15th Air Force one, Baby.  May not be as colorful as the others, but I'm a sucker for a Varga girl...

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/08/zots-drop-bombs-with-their-new-b-17.html

Tim W.