Bitburg F-15C ODS Mig Killer

ghatherly

Thanks guys for the kind comments.  I have been in and out this month Hunting so been real hit and miss building anything.   Here is a small update on the bird.  

The paint and weathering is for all purposes done, and the Landing gear and engines are installed.  Working on those little bits of things to finish it up, and the pylons and stores.

PA310002_zps46c244d8.jpg

DSCN1104_zps54601ecc.jpg

DSCN1107_zps6b366d84.jpg

DSCN1124_zps1546fa5c.jpg

DSCN1128_zpsee5dcf4b.jpg

DSCN1146_zpsbdfdc975.jpg

DSCN1130_zps9c99f0ad.jpg

DSCN1129_zpse3c066c9.jpg

DSCN1101_zps3f2b4bc9.jpg

PA310008_zps6f892972.jpg

Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!

Edited by ghatherly

Thanks guys for the kind comments.   As you can see I have made much progress in between hunting trips and such, but I still have many little details to finish.   Which brings me to a question, What is the best product to use to darken the metal foil I have used for the vents and the tail hook trim details?  The foil is K&S foil that comes int he rolls.  Will any metal blackening agent work?  I don't want to screw these up and have to make them over, making the vents with their compound shape was like being a miniature black smith of sort, and I cannot tell  you how may dozen I ruined before I figured it out and made two good ones.

Here are a few more pictures, and as you can see there is still much work to be done with the gear doors and linkages and I have not even started on the Pylons or weapons.   I got the bug to build a Phantom, and spent the past few days building the F-4C  Michigan  ANG cockpit ………..go figure so close to being done.  

One of the tricky parts was getting all of the shades of gray to look right.  I started with the two base airframe colors, a third for the nose cone, a fourth, fifth, & sixth for the antennas, and a 7th for the airframe.  I then played with shades of each one.  What do you think?   All of the colors are Master Model Acrylics using FS numbers for color selection and mixing shades from those base colors.  I sand before painting and between coats with 2000 dry and wash with warm water.  Future used as a decal base and over coat with windex smoothing coats, and master model flat lacquer over paint and gloss over metal.   The Unit decals are  TwoBobs Bitburg Eagle set,  the stencil a mix of TwoBobs, Astra, Caracal, Sky and panel numbers are from Sky.  I have to give a big hey to Eduard for the Formation lights, this is the first time I have used them and I really like the way they turned out.  What is a real plus is that one set gives you rear lights for 2 jets if are not building a late E, if you don't mind not having two front sets which to me is not a problem.

PA310006_zps5cdad124.jpg

The flaps/ailerons are not finished yet, and are just being held in place by the bent brass rods and the tape.  Finishing and decals still to come.

DSCN1106_zps06b1f096.jpg

Nose gear door needs retract linkage bar added and a satin finish inside of the door and the leg.

PA310057_zpseeb11016.jpg

PA090046_zps7913f1d1.jpg

Main gear well needs plumbing, door and linkage installed.  Also needs roof glued down.

PA090057_zpsbfe3ba3e.jpg

PA310052_zps5ed7b735.jpg

PA090054_zpsa84a6d4d.jpg[/u

RL]

I didn't like the kit AOA or the trim ring, so I made a correct one out of metal and added a Hobby Decal AOA probe.

For the Pitot probe, the panel lines of the kit were filled in as they really are just dirt stains from the cover being in place, and a metal pitot made and installed.

DSCN1127_zps288da495.jpg

The HUD as seen from the front.  The Tamiya lower glass is the wrong shape, and needs to be angled on the

bottom as shown, otherwise the glass does not cover the projector.

PA310023_zps346a8f9d.jpg

I know, another cockpit picture!….Sorry, but that is allI have to show the other end of the HUD glass.

[url=http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/ghatherly/media/Bitberg%20F-15C%20%20ODS/PA310021_zps1be73116.jpg.html]

PA310021_zps1be73116.jpg[/url

Edited by ghatherly

• 5 weeks later...

After a Month, I actually made some progress.  I finished up the Landing Gear Doors/Linkages and built and fitted the pylons and center tank.

DSCN1652_zps709ee8d2.jpg

DSCN1648_zpsba08a1f1.jpg

I used Brass tubing to mount the pylons, that way they can be removed for travel.  I put a sleeve in the model and another in place of the pins on the pylon.  With the tank, that tubing extends through the pylon to the bottom of the tank.

DSCN1606_zpsb8a9a9d4.jpg

DSCN1661_zps2d2100a8.jpg

DSCN1662_zps7597a106.jpg

Installed CL pylon/tank combo:

DSCN1654_zps19659b59.jpg

Wing Pylon:

DSCN1663_zpsf5b4d403.jpg

DSCN1649_zps0f8ba9c2.jpg

Thanks for all of your support and interest, Gary

Hey Frank,   I either slightly deform the pylon tubing to create an out of round condition, or I bend the two tubes toward or away from each other to create some friction.  The heavier the pylon, the more friction needed, but I have never tried it with heavy ones.  When I did the Kadena Eagle I just glued those in with a little silicone as they had missiles and tanks under each wing, both in resin.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the Sparrow Missiles and the Wing Pylons.   THey do't look like much, but these things are a tremendous amount of work.  Very small intricate and.

The pylons are the kit ones. I used brass tubing for the vents and the drains, and small hardware for the anti-sway adjustments on the racks.  Small plastic bolt heads were added where the references showed, as was the markings.  

DSCN1762_zps9543e237.jpg

DSCN1769_zpsfe4d9583.jpg

The rails were the kit rails.  I carved out the inside to make the rail detail stand out and hollowed out the front of the rail where the communication cable goes.  The fin guide rollers were done in in PE with plastic roller wheels.

DSCN1764_zpsc7f9228f.jpg

DSCN1765_zpsa26c6a20.jpg

DSCN1776_zps0567bf5d.jpg

The AIM-7M missiles were from the Academy F/A-18 Hornet kit.  They were rescribed and the fins were thinned down.  Holes were drilled to facilitate mounting on the fuselage LAU-106 mount, and a data link connection will be scratch built to connect the missile to the  plane systems.  I used Two bobs decals.  These come in two large section, but they are made for a larger diameter missile.  I had to cut each of the the decals length wise so that the radar antennas and the markings lined up with fins.  They laid down really nice and were easy to work with.

DSCN1742_zps19612e8d.jpg

DSCN1743_zpsf5d12270.jpg

DSCN1748_zpsd7c57805.jpg

DSCN1752_zpsdde46434.jpg

Thanks, Gary

Edited by ghatherly

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Geeeeeeeeeeeez, Incredible work, just blows me a way. :clap2:  The detailing is simply awesome and thanks for the tip on using the brass tubing.

I'm hoping to do some detailing on my Sufa including the launch rails and loadout once I finish my Mustang rebuild.

Gorgeous work

Peter