HK Models B-17 Aftermarket

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

No worries Rog, there's lots more to come.

Look back here tomorrow and you'll see some pretty pics of some PE sets for this beautiful kit. This is going to get very expensive I fear, but all your kind comments make it all worth every penny. I've already spent over £120 on AM stuff!!!

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks Kev,

I must say, the whole thing looks far more professional in that format.

I will be adding more later today, so please feel free to also put them into a review format if you so wish.

Thanks Kev,

I must say, the whole thing looks far more professional in that format.

I will be adding more later today, so please feel free to also put them into a review format if you so wish.

Thanks Nige!

:goodjob:

Kev

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks for all your kind words guys. You make this worthwhile!! I know how much attention the B-25 thread received, so it seemed only natural to do this one...

I was thinking today, I should have shown you all the standard kit wheels, so here they are...

Wheels-1.jpg

As you can see not too bad at all really, but for the low cost of the Eduard items, worth replacing in my opinion.

Here's a side on look at one of the tyre halves. Nice tread pattern, though a little soft and too deep in my opinion??

Tyres.jpg

Finally, something I just had to check out was the little Revell 1/72 B-17G wheels and tyres, just look at these babies... not LSP, aftermarket or HK I know, but I just had to take a picture!!

RevellWheelsandTyres.jpg

Thanks again for all your kind comments, I will post more a little later on...

Guest Nigelr32

Here we have the Eduard Photo Etch set 32338 for the Engines of this beautiful HK Models B-17. This set contains one fret of etched brass, thankfully unplated, measuring 135mm x 128mm and containing no less than 250 parts. Here's what you get

Fret.jpg

The rear of the cowl flaps are catered for with these beautifully etched panels, however ones sanity is at stake here, there are no fewer than 64 of these to be folded up and fitted!! The backs of the cowl flaps on the kit parts are plain, and will benefit from these parts greatly, giving them that sheet metal look. I think I will thin the flaps on my kit before fitting these.

CowlFlaprear.jpg

Heat shields are also included, 36 off, 1 for the top of each cylinder. These parts are missing in the kit and are just visible through the cowl opening. Here they are...

Heatshields.jpg

Another feature missing in the kit is the ring which supports the cowling panels. This is included in this set by way of a straight strip of brass which must be rolled into a ring then mounted on the rocker covers with 36 off brackets.. which must of course be folded up to mount the ring onto.

Eduard have supplied brackets to replicate the springs which hold the exhaust sections together, it is suggested the springs are made from rod, but a very small threaded rod may look more effective? Here are the brackets.

Exhaustspringbrackets.jpg

As can be seen up close in the previous picture there are also ignition harnesses included, though you may decide to use wire instead, or coat the etched ones in PVA or similar to make them a little more three dimensional?

The instructions come in the form of two A5 sheets as usual with Eduard, I have printed off two A4 colour sheets from the Eduard site and have pictured them here.

Instructions-1.jpg

Instructions1-1.jpg

As can be seen by the images in the instructions there are a few small parts I haven't mentioned, such as the exhaust shut off levers and placards. All in all this set gives you a lot of extra detail not included in the kit, and will add that extra bit of realism to the engines and surrounding area. I'm certainly looking forward to fitting all these goodies to what is already superbly kitted engines.

Thanks go to Eduard for making this set, and to my pocket for buying it!!

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Eduard have recently released this set for the Undercarriage of the HK Models B-17G. It is set number 32-342 and consists of one fret of etched Brass, unplated, measuring 144mm x 92mm and containing 91 parts.

Fret-1.jpg

Parts are included for the main and tail wheel undercarriage legs and bays.

Here we can see the panels provided to line out the tail wheel bay. The kit parts are plain and smooth, these riveted panels will add much in the way of detail after a dry brush and wash.

Paneldetails1.jpg

More riveted panels are included which are designed to enhance the main wheel bays. There are also many parts to replicate the riveted flanges seen around fitting and the edges of sheet metalwork.

Paneldetails.jpg

Here we have yet more panelling...

PanelDetails2.jpg

In the instructions we can see there are many small parts to this set such as strapping for the hydraulic oil tanks and hinge bracket for the tail wheel leg. There are also many parts for the main legs to enhance their appearance and add that little extra. Note the panelling for the ducting in the main bays, this should look great when weathered.

Instructions-2.jpg

Instructions1-2.jpg

All in all this set is well worth buying for all the panelling alone in my opinion. It will really add to the plain surfaces of the kit.

Thanks to Eduard for producing this great set and to my wallet for buying it!!

Guest Nigelr32

Wow, you're really on a roll Nige! Great work.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I must be honest, I've tried to write the articles in more of a "Review" rather than just showing off my wares... I hope you like it.

I have the Eduard flaps set, even though I said I wouldn't buy it!! It is just so lovely I had to have it. My kit will have to be displayed "Under Maintenance". With the lovely engine set shown above, I may even have a couple of cowlings off? There are some great maintenance pics on Google images.

Thanks again Kev, I hope EVERYONE enjoys looking through this and our LHS's make some money out of these reviews.

Until now, I thought I'd take a pass on PE for this kit, except for the cockpit and the forward compartment, but after looking at those pictures I don't think I can resist going the whole hog. Don't like those flat ignition wires, though. However, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be too difficult to scratch build something more realistic. I like the flaps, if for no other reason then that I'm intrigued by the challenge of assembling them. I just might buy a second kit and do a maintenance diorama with the flaps down.

Well, I know what I'm going to be doing this winter.

Jerry Peterson

lol :D

Wow ... this is really looking like an OAMD (Obsessive After Market Disorder) victims playground ...

Interesting to see all this stuff Nige' ... but jeepers!!

still enjoying though!! keep em' comin' :popcorn:

Rog :)

Guest Peterpools

Nige

I really doubt Boeing could have done a better job. I am both totally amazed and nearly blown away by the Eduard PE and Brassin detail parts. This is one kit you have to take to completion, as with Rock'in Moma

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

I couldnt get Eduards ignition ring/wires to work in 1/48 , perhaps they could be used for a pattern , I have seen that done and it is fantastic. I can see an opportunity for a set of maintenance cranes ,tools etc for some lucky a/m entrepreneur.

Are you teasin' us with the flap set !?

C'mon!